2. Dont eat fish.

Start from the beginning

"Follow me! Get to the RV!" Shane chanted, firing shots at the dead as he protected Lori and Carl. He was eventually joined by Carol and Sophia. "Morales work your way up here!"

As Diego begun to cry, the monsters started to look at her. With another screech, the girl picked up a stick from the muddy floor and threw it at the monster. It didn't deter it, it kept coming. "Shane. Shane help me!" the girl cried.

"Diego! Diego where you at kid! Where you at?" Shane panicked, hearing the small girl, but not being able to see her. The girl became more terrified as it got closer, tripping over a rock and grabbing onto Diego's leg. She frantically kicked at the dead with her dirty sneaker, but nothing was working. Why wasn't it working? She flinched as she heard more bangs, more than before. She wished that the noise would stop.

Her ears hurt and her eyes hurt and the monsters teeth were getting closer to her small leg despite her frantic wiggling. Just as it was about to make Diego it's dinner, there was a super loud bang, and the monster fell down fully. Diego was lifted up, the girl letting out a loud gasp at the man that was carrying her.

Daryl didn't find it particularly easy firing a gun while holding a child, but he had to make do. He ignored the way little fingers dug into his shoulders as the kid tucked her head into the crook of his neck, how she would whimper with every bang.

Everyone was screaming and crying and Diego was really scared. She couldn't help but be reminded of the time one of their hunts went wrong and she lost Sammy and Dean. The Wendigo nearly got her that night.

After a few minutes of loud noise, it became almost deafeningly quiet. Diego felt Daryl panting as he adjusted his grip on her. She lifted her teary head and looked around. Rick was hugging Lori and Carl by the RV, and Andrea was leaning over Amy. But if you were to ask Diego, the worst bit would be the corpses littering the ground.

"Don't look." Daryl grunted as he walked forwards a little, trying to get closer to the RV.

"Kid. Diego? Has anyone seen Diego?" Shane was yelling, searching for the little girl.

"Here." Daryl huffed, attempting to pry the child off of him, ultimately failing. She had latched into him like a leech. "Kid, let go." Diego just held on tighter. After a few minutes of trying, Daryl gave up with trying to shake off the little monkey in favour of walking to the RV, managing to drop her on the couch.

Diego let out a muffled yelp as she fell face first into the cushions, making Daryl snort at the child. After the kid turned over to glare at the man with teary eyes, he frowned. "The hell happened to your face?"

"A big stone hit me." Diego croaked, still trying to calm down a little, her ears were still ringing.

Daryl was silent, confused. He began to walk away, but Diego latched onto him. "Toby?"

"What?" Daryl asked, legitimately puzzled.

"My teddy, in my bag." Diego spoke quietly, a questioning lilt in her tone. Daryl inwardly groaned, why did he have to get left with the new kid.

He walked over to her bag and plucked out her stuffed toy, throwing it at the girl. It made a soft thump noise as it hit her in the face. Daryl leant down to the floor, something had fallen out of her bag. He picked up the crumpled piece of paper, holding it out to the child. Diego gasped, grabbing the photo from the older man and holding it to her chest.

 Diego gasped, grabbing the photo from the older man and holding it to her chest

"They is my big brothers." Diego told Daryl. The man just staring at her as he chewed his bottom lip. "Dean is the biggest. He is bigger than my Sammy by four years." Diego held up some fingers and Daryl huffed. "What?"

"You said four, but held up six fingers." Daryl smirked.

"Oh." Diego pouted. That was embarrassing. It was quiet for a moment before the girl spoke up again. "Did Mister Rick founds Sammy?"

"Nah." Daryl drawled, suddenly uncomfortable. He so wanted to leave.

"Can you help me look? For Sammy and Dean?" Diego asked almost scared. She just wanted her brothers back, was that too much to ask?

Daryl just nodded a little bit, but it made all the difference in the little girls eyes. She beamed. "Pinky promise?"

"What are you like four?" Daryl huffed at the kid, looking to her extended pinky finger.

"Yes." Diego deadpanned. "Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise." Daryl recited, a little unsure. The two sat in an uncomfortable silence for a while as the child dozed. Daryl took that as his queue to leave, he was no babysitter.

•••
Pppppppp

Edited: 21/06/2023