6. Upper Hand

“What the hell were you thinking?” Damon’s voice was low and laced with anger, which Regina could tell despite the faint cracking coming from the phone line. “Giving an interview with9out consulting me, or the PR department, or even my assistant, for God’s sake?”

“I was in a bad position,” Regina awkwardly tried to defend herself, knowing her client was completely right. She couldn’t just tell him the reporters took her by surprise because of her catty boss’ vendetta. “If I didn’t give any comments, they would’ve thought I was hiding something and you’re actually guilty.”

“So be it! You’re a lawyer, your fucking job description is to not talk about your client!” Steinberg took a deep pause, clearly attempting to calm himself on the other side of the line. After a brief pause, he started speaking again, his tone professional yet quietly menacing. “And that little pause of yours? That bitch of a reporter made it sound like we’re sleeping together any time we can find!”

“I’m sorry I had a headache and couldn’t answer everything with the speed of a freight train?” Regina said sarcastically. Realizing she was acting unprofessional and this was still her client despite the morning they spent together, she quickly adjusted her tone to one of apology, her voice almost dripping with sincerity. “It was a one time mistake, and I apologize for my lack of professionalism. I’ll make sure to pre-arrange everything I say with you next time.”

“You damn well better do that,” Steinberg snapped, “the stocks took another dollar of a nosedive since the interview came out this morning. Three dollars in two days is un-fucking-heard of!”

“That’s unfortunate.” Regina replied, not sure what she was supposed to be saying while the man was raging over the phone. Unlike when the rest of her clients shouted at her, blaming her for the mistakes they have mostly made themselves by committing their crime, this felt strangely personal. She felt wounded by his harshness and his lack of understanding, and guilty at his anger, despite knowing that this was typical client behavior. She pushed away the strange feelings and concentrated on the voice inside her BlackBerry.

“You’re a good lawyer, Regina.” Steinberg’s voice warmed up slightly to sound almost apologetic before he said the next sentence. “You’re good in court, you’re brilliant at convincing juries…But I shouldn’t have pulled you into all of this. It’s not your thing.”

She stared at the wall in stunned silence, wondering if he was really this harsh after one mistake. Of course, his life was indeed on the line in this case, but she was convinced they had developed a good enough rapport up to now. “Are you dismissing me?”

“Not at all. As a lawyer, Regina, you’re brilliant.” Damon’s voice retained the same warmth. “But that is all you will do from now on. I apologize for involving you in a private investigation that was outside your field of competency and damaging our professional relationship. I hope you can still represent me at trial.”

“Of course.” She said dryly after only a second’s hesitation. She couldn’t let her emotions distract her from the partnership that had so teasingly been in front of her nose. “Good day, Mr. Steinberg.”

“What was that?” She heard Harry Foster’s voice from the doorway the second she hung up her phone.

“Oh, nothing.” Regina shrugged with as much composure as she could find. “Just a conversation about case matters.”

“And this?” She winced internally as her eyes landed on yet another copy of today’s New York Times, the front pages bearing her photo and botched up interview. She scanned it briefly, trying to come up with an appropriate reply that justified screwing up her first major performance landmark and the first time her name got into major press. Unfortunately, Harry beat her to it. “I expected better, Reg. I don’t want to admit to Olivia that she was right in picking the new partner, but I have to say: right now Adam has the upper hand.”