Chapter 5: The Dark Cannon

The light finally faded. As soon as he could see again, he turned and looked around. Link was still there. Their two opponents were still there. Luigi was still there. Even Zelda was still there! So basically, nothing had happened.
"I guess it's a good time I came when I did, because that was pathetic," came a new voice. Mario whirled around, and to his surprise, was another... well, he wasn't sure what it was. He looked like the fox he'd been battling, but he was a bit bigger, and with grey fur. He was propelled in the air by what appeared to be a jetpack, and he was carrying a large, black, gun of some sort.
"Wolf O'Donnell, the diaper rash of the Lylat System, strikes again!" Falco laughed, preparing to fight again.
"What do you want, Wolf, of all times? We're a bit busy!" Fox said angrily.
"I told you, I'm adding a little spice to this dull flavored sparring contest," Wolf cackled, slowly floating to the ground.
"U-u-um, Mister Wolf, what are you doing with that... REALLY LARGE GUN?" Luigi asked, his eyes widening.
"Oh, THIS? I call this beauty the Dark Cannon, and now I just need a few guinea pigs to test it on. Well, looks like I found some," Wolf said coldly. He turned the Dark Cannon towards Fox, and then charging up a shot, fired at him. Fox jumped out of the way of the shot, which took the form of a black arrow. Wolf then fired at Falco. Falco dodged.
"Hmm, Star Fox, you haven't missed a beat," Wolf sneered, "But there's more here than you!" He turned his attention towards Mario, then fired. Mario rolled out of the way. Wolf then took a shot at Link, who dodged. He then took a shot at Luigi, who dived out of the way, narrowly avoiding the shot. This then left Zelda vulnerable, as she looked in shock as Luigi dove out of the way. Link, who was recovering from the dodge, noticed Wolf's plan. Just as Wolf fired, Link bolted, then shoved Zelda out of the way. Zelda turned shocked as Link was struck with the arrow. Link hit the ground. He was turned... into a statue of some sort, Mario realized. Everyone gasped.
"Link!" Zelda cried, as Luigi came to her aid, helping her to her feet.
"Well, my work here is done. As for you, Fox Mccloud, I'll see you later. If there is a later! HA HA HA!" laughed Wolf. Then with a howl, the light struck again. Everyone covered their eyes, blinded yet again. About twenty seconds later, the light faded. Wolf was gone. Mario looked at the ground where Link was. Or, as he noticed immediately, where Link had been. Link was gone. Zelda, rushed out of Luigi's arms, then rushed to the area where Link has been. Seeing him gone, she sank to her knees.
"Oh, Link! I can't believe you're gone! This is all my fault!" Zelda began to sob. Luigi tried to comfort her, but it only made it worse.
"Uh, hey. We are terribly sorry about your friend. He made a great sacrifice," said Fox, hoping to calm Zelda down. His attempt failed, as Zelda continued to cry.
"Hey, don't be, it's not your fault. It was that Wolf guy," Mario said.
"Well, it was our fault for firing at you, then picking a fight," Falco replied. Luigi heard the conversation, but his mind was on Zelda. Link was her protector, her friend. Now he was gone. He'd saved her yet again, and he was gone now. She was taking a bullet she hadn't been shot with.
"Anyway, I'm Fox Mccloud, and this is my trusty pilot, Falco Lombardi. You three got a name?" Fox asked, offering his hand to Mario.
"Yes, I'm-a-Mario, and over there, is my brother, Luigi, and her name is Zelda. Our friend who that Wolf guy took, was named Link," Mario answered, shaking his hand, then Falco's.
"Well, if we weren't already, we're certainly apart of this now. We'll help get your friend back," Falco replied.
"Thank you. Um, Did you say something about a Lylat System or something?" Mario asked.
"Yes, basically the series of planets, such as this one, Corneria," Fox replied.
"OK then," Mario said.
"OK, now, where do you think Wolf went?" Falco asked Mario.
"I'm not sure... Wait, both of you look in the sky for a purple hole of some sort!" Mario demanded in the nicest way possible. After a few seconds, Falco spoke up.
"Like that one?"
"Yes! YES! We need to get going!"
"What? Why?"
"Every time that light appeared, it left a purple hole. Like a warp to another world!"
"Hold on, I got this. Slippy? Yeah, can I get 4 arwings down to our locations? Falco and I are going on a dangerous mission. No, it's OK, we can take it on our own. Leave Peppy in charge of the Great Fox. OK, Fox out."
"Are arwings those things that attacked us?"
"Yeah, it'll be a breeze getting up there with these."
"But why four? Why not five?"
"I figured that Luigi and Zelda can go together."
"OK"
While Fox and Mario were chatting, Zelda was still crying. It was less than before, but she still was. Luigi finally got into his overall pockets, and got some tissues, handing them to Zelda
"Thank you, Luigi," Zelda sniffed, wiping her eyes with one of the tissues.
"It's fine, I have plenty," Luigi replied.
"I feel so embarrassed! I told Link I could take care of myself, and then he saves me, and now he's..."
Luigi put his hand on Zelda's shoulder. "It's okay to cry sometimes. Don't worry, I've felt the same sometimes. And may have cried a bit too much in the process... But anyway, we're going to find Link. I have a feeling that Fox and Falco are going to keep their word and help us."
"Thank you, again, Luigi," Zelda said, as she stood up, smiling at Luigi. This made Luigi feel good on the inside. He always enjoyed encouraging and helping people out. Finally, the four arwings showed up. Fox, Falco, and Mario hopped into their arwings, while Luigi carefully helped Zelda into hers. There were radio communicators in the arwings, so they were able to contact one another.
"Ok, these things are easy to fly, you'll pick up the control pretty easy. However, the first few times, the landing will be a bit bumpy," Fox explained.
"Well, looks like you're toast, Luigi," Mario snickered.
"Shut up, Mario! Just when I was getting ing a good mood!"
"It's fine, as long as you open the landing gear," Falco said.
"That is, if Slippy put the landing gear in these arwings," said Fox.
"Hey, come on! The purple hole is gonna close probably soon! Let's-a-go!" said Mario. Our 3 heroes(plus two more) flew towards the portal.