Chapter 12: Nevermind, I'm preoccupied

Our vacation was over. We had a great five days in Hawaii and we returned to Jump City three days ago. Raven and I had the best time during the vacation. I felt like we opened up to each other a lot more. My feelings for her are confirmed. I like Raven.

But as soon as we came back to the tower, Raven became distant. She went straight into her room and after that, we hardly saw her. Every time I walked passed her room, it was silent but when I put my ear against the door, I heard noises. It sounded like whispers.

I had no idea what was going on but I was determined to find out. I was currently standing in front of her door with my fist raised to the door. I knocked. Two hard pounds and one extra soft pound.

Nothing happened. I could turn into a small bug and slip through under her door. But that would be a violation of privacy. But if I didn't, it would be a violation of friendship rules. And it would be irresponsible to be ignorant of whatever was going on with someone who becomes abruptly conservative.

I decided to turn into a mosquito and I slipped under her door. Once inside, I surveyed the room. It was dark except for three candles illuminating the room. Raven was laying on the floor unconscious. I morphed into my human form and I ran to her side, "Raven, what happened to you? Are you-"

I stopped when I turned her over. Half of her face was red and had two yellow eyes. The half that had red had a horn sticking out of her head. I stood up and stepped back. She stirred then woke up. She lifted one hand to hold her head but stopped and stared at her hand. It was red and her nails were long and sharp.

I backed away until my back collided with the wall. Raven hadn't noticed me at all because she stood up and clenched her fists.

"I told you to leave me alone!" She snapped.

"You refuse to comply with my demand. I will conquer your world!" A deep, echoy voice yelled.

I had no idea who was speaking to Raven but the voice seemed to emit from...Raven?

"Leave me ALONE!" She yelled then she started screaming. Her body was encased in dark magic and her body started to levitate. Her screams subsides and the dark energy vanished her body started to drop from the air.

I ran forward and caught her body before it hit the ground. Her face was back to normal and her hand was no longer red. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at me in confusion. Her eyes widened in realisation then she got out of my arms.

She shifted back and pulled her hood over her head, "Changeling, what are you doing here?" She asked in a worried state.

"I came to check up on you but you were unconscious and half of your face was red. What-"

Raven muttered incoherent words under her breath, "Did he see you?"

"Who? Raven, who are you talking about?" I asked in confusion.

"Yes or no?" She pressed.

I opened my mouth but no words were coming out, "I...I don't know. Maybe, I don't think so,"

Raven started pacing up and down then she ran her hands through her hair which cause her hood to fall back. She suddenly stopped then she looked at me, "Changeling, you need to leave now!" She ordered as she placed her hand on my chest and pushed me towards the door.

I was shocked but got over it quickly before and grabbed her wrist before she could kick me out of her room, "Raven, what is going on? Who was talking to you?" I questioned her.

She tried to tug her wrist from my grip but I didn't allow her to, "Changeling, I'm not joking when I say that you should leave. This has to do with something that you will never understand. I'm dealing with literal demons from my past and I refuse to allow you or any of the Titans to entangle yourselves in my mess,"

"But that's what friends are for. We help each other. Just tell me what is going on," I pleaded as my free hand reached out to cup her cheek.

Her eyes glazed over and she leaned into my hand with her eyes clenched shut. She shook her head and opened her eyes. No tears were in her eyes, only a hardened glare aimed at me.

"Why should I tell you about what happens in my life? You can't help me. I don't want you to help me. I don't need to be saved by anyone. Especially not by...a green freak," She ended.

My grip loosened and I was taken aback. She took advantage of the opportunity and snatched her wrist back. She pushed my chest and I stumbled over the threshold and landed on the floor.

"Raven," I whispered, "You don't mean that,"

"I do. So, stay away or else you will get killed," She warned me.

"By who, Rae?"

"By me," She whispered before she turned around and closed her door.

I sat on the floor for the longest time before I stood up. I aimlessly made my way to the roof and stood on the edge. If Raven didn't care about my opinion, I didn't care about hers.

I'm going to break my promise to her. I'm going back to town.

TT

I'm feeling kinda down today so I thought I'd give you a sad chapter.

Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a battle to survive. Things don't always go the way you want it to. That's a fact.

Vote and comment. I wanna know what's on your mind.