Chapter 13: Let's share a secret

The lights in the Tower were off when I flew back. I flew in through my window and morphed back into myself. Going back into town didn't leave me feeling okay. I felt like had betrayed Raven even though she had hurt my feelings.

I exited my room and tip-toed down the dark hallway, careful not to make a noise and wake up the other Titans. The door to the common room slash kitchen swooshed open and I walked to the fridge. I opened it to get a glass of milk but my ears shifted slightly.

I heard a noise. I quietly closed the fridge and turned around. My eyes adjusted to th dark and I could see a dark figure sitting on the couch. A growl almost rolled out from my throat until I smelled their familiar scent.

Raven

I moved towards the couch and saw her flinch as I sat beside her, allowing our shoulders to touch. I saw something glistening against her cheeks and I realised that it was tears.

I reached out and touched her damp cheeks, using my thumb to wipe away the tears from each cheek. My hand slid from her cheek, past her neck, down her arm and fell into her cold hands. I traced circles around the palm of her hand whilst looking at her.

She refused to look at me, her gaze fixated on her knees.

"Rae..."

She scrunched up her nose, trying to hold back tears.

"You shouldn't be here." She said in a choked voice.

"I shouldn't be awake at this time or I shouldn't be here with you?" I asked quietly.

She sucked in a deep breath and composed herself, "Both. I told you to leave me alone." She said, her voice turning emotionless.

I played with the tips of her fingers, "You act as if I'll listen to you. Rae-"

"It's Raven-"

"I don't care what it is. It's all the same person. The same amazing person. Rae, you probably hate me right now but I don't hate you. I'm worried about you and I need you to tell me what's going on,"

She shook her head and pulled her hand away from mine, "No. I'm not going to put you in danger."

I let out an exasperated sigh and roughly ran my fingers through my hair, "Raven! I'm not a child! I'm a superhero. My job is to put myself in danger so others don't have to be."

Tears brimmed on the edges of her eyes, "Changeling, I'm also a superhero. My instincts make me want to protect you and the team," She tried to explain without fumbling through her words.

I raised my hand and touched the bottom of her chin and lifted her face to meet my eyes. Her eyes were lifeless and looked almost black. A frown tugged at her lips.

"We aren't only your teammates. We're family and family stick together. You're never alone so please let us help you. Let me help you." I pleaded.

Her eyes fluttered shut as her eyebrows scrunched together. Her eyes flew open and a shimmer of purple shone through her eyes.

"It's...Trigon. He's back," She stuttered.

"How?" I asked, feeling at a loss for words.

She raised her hand and used her dark magic to switch on the light. I could see her face clearly. The distress was evident on her face. Her hair was not brushed and tied into a sloppy low ponytail.

"Trigon has spoken to me through my gem. He had gone through my emotions and is capturing them one by one. He intends to make everyone one of them fear and then he will control me to destroy the city." She explained.

"The only way to stop him is to go back to Azarath and summon him out of my gemstone. From there, I must face him and destroy him. If I am unable to and he destroys me, He will be stuck on Azarath for eternity." She finished.

I grabbed her shoulders, "We'll be with you through it all."

She shook her head, "I can't let you die for me. I just --"

"Raven. I am ready to die for you. We all are. You matter to us, can't you see." I reasoned with her. She looked up at me with shining eyes.

"And what about you?" She asked.

I looked at her quizzical, "What about me?"

"Do I matter to you?" She asked quietly.

I looked at her for a second before pulling her close to me. I placed her head against my chest and nuzzled my head against the back of her head.

"Always."

She pulled back and looked at me, "Changeling, thank you,"

She leaned forward and kissed my cheek. It was a lingering kiss before she pulled back. My mouth parted a bit before I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she rested her head against my neck.

"You're welcome."

TT

Woah, coolio. Hope you love the update and many more to come.