Chapter 3

I felt all the air, all the wind leave my body. Tears began to burn the back of my eyes. I lowered my head and played over what my cousin just told me. I killed your brother.

"Sharen, please look at me. Let me explain to you what happened. How things played out. This isn't my fault Sharen!"

What is wrong with her?

"Not your fault?! How in the hell could you believe that this is not your fault?! Please just go. Get out of my office before I call security. Now!" I screamed. She walked over to the door and opened it. She turned around and looked back at me.

"Call me when you have time. I really need to tell you how it happened."

"You have 2 seconds to step the hell out." I said calmly.

A few seconds later I heard the door close.

Just when I begin to think things are going great here comes another blow. Life just isn't right. It's not fair.

My life has been in shackles since I was 13 years old. Going from one house to the next. Living with people I barely know, and now here I am at 24 and I still haven't gotten it together. Mama always told me, "Life will never be fair baby, but you keep pushing and you keep doin' you."

Every day I live by that. I have my own house. I have a career, a business that I started on my own. It's a small nonprofit business that's dedicated to high school kids that's trying to go on to college and have a career of their own also. But is any of that really important? Does any of that really matter when your personal life is turned upside down every other day?

After sitting down in my chair and reliving the past, I made it up in my mind that today just isn't the day.

"Channy?" I called on the intercom.

10 seconds later my office door opened.

"Yes ma'am?" She answered.

"You can go home for the day. I think I'm calling it a day too." I told her. I began to pack up my belongings and started to walk out the door.

"Is something wrong Ms. Woods?" She asked nervously.

What's wrong with her?

"Um, no. Why? Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

"Oh yes, everything is fine. I was just asking. Enjoy your day off."

"Oh, okay. You too Channy." I said as I begin to walk out of my office and lock my door.

What was that all about? I shrugged it off and begin to drive home. I'm turning in for the day.