Chapter 17

"Wait. What? Where's the baby Sharen?!" He all but yelled.

Was he angry at me? I thought he wouldn't be judgemental.

"It's a long story Dexter and honestly I don't want to talk about it anymore."

I stood up to leave but he stopped me.

"Sharen wait, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have screamed at you. It's just that I feel like you should have told me about the baby when I first asked." He said as calmly as possible.

"I know I'm sorry. Look maybe we can talk later, I have some things I need to do today." I said and with that I walked out.

I decided to go to my job and check on things. I haven't been to my office since the break in. Pulling into the parking lot I sat back and thought about Allen. I pray to God that he isn't here in New Orleans or even close to New Orleans. He is something I definitely want to keep in my past. I remember all of the bad times. The times he hit me, all of the times I was cheated on and lied too. And the death of my... I don't even want to think about it anymore, but my mind wouldn't let the past stay in the past.

I remember Allen's voice loud and clear.

"That's your problem Sharen, you think everything is about you. You think the world revolves around you. News flash, it doesn't." Allen said with a slurred tone. As usual he came home tonight drunk. I know he was with someone else, I can smell their scent.

"Allen, stop. I'm not for this tonight. I'm going upstairs. My baby is crying." I walked up the stairs to see what was wrong with Alana. I'm so proud to be a mother. She means the world to me.

"You think I care about that baby?! Huh? I don't! She's not mines anyway." He yelled as he followed me up the stairs. He grabbed me at the back of my neck and pushed me. That's when Alana started crying louder. I turned around to see Allen carrying her by one arm.

"What the hell are you doing?! She is only one month!"

"Didn't I tell you that I didn't care? All I heard next was a loud thud.

A knock on my window brought me back from the past. I looked up to see who it was. Oh god. It's Karen.