Chapter 5

One second he was in a chilly forest of Ireland and the next warmth surrounded him as he hovered in the air a few meters above an ivory carpeted floor. Three pairs of eyes looked up at him and backed away a second before whatever force was making him float disappeared. He fell hard, face-first into the carpet. Well, at the very least, he hadn’t landed over any of his bosses; that would have been his death.

“Fuck,” he groaned as he pushed himself out of the floor and stood up, taking a hand to the back of his neck. Feeling the tension in his muscles, he cracked his bones and sighed in delight when the painful stiffness subsided. “She did that on purpose, didn’t she?” He looked around what seemed to be Lilith’s office —since everything was decorated with reds and golds— searching for his female companion and a curse flew out of his mouth. She was nowhere to be seen. Realization dawned on him and his dark eyes narrowed. “Damn woman!” He passed a hand through his hair, stopping at the back of his head, and pressed his lips into a thin line as he closed his eyes. “Tara!”

Vergil took a step towards the man, followed closely behind by Luca. He suddenly glanced at the blond as if the guy held the answers to the newcomer’s outburst but received none. “Calm down, Marcus. You need to take it slowly and be careful, so your wounds don’t reopen.”

“Tara healed me,” the dark-haired man snapped, took out his wool coat, and threw it to the carpeted floor so everyone could see his torso. “There’s not even scars left.”

His boss lifted a white eyebrow but kept his mouth shut. Hell’s fury would rain upon Vergil’s head if his mother got wind that Tara was in fact Ashtarae— the only daughter of the demonic crown prince. Lilith desperately wanted to find the long-lost duchess to please her firstborn and regain his love. After all, even when more than two millennia had passed, Baphomet was still angry because his dear old mommy betrayed his daddy and had the Greek bastard— a.k.a Vergil.

So, having Tara in his grasp but hidden away from her father was something the white-haired demon did to get back at his eldest half-brother for all the centuries of bad blood between them. In the end, it was nothing more than an act of pure vengeance.

“This Tara is a witch?” the Scarlet Queen asked Marcus, who paled a little under her gaze.

“I don’t know, ma’am.”

Her annoyed stare then fell upon her son, expecting an answer from him instead. As her right-hand man, it was his duty to know every person who was related to their employees in any way.

Vergil nodded but then his electric blue eyes shifted to his best friend, watching him as if the guy’s innards held all the answers of the universe. “Yes, she is, mom. But I’m finding her actions puzzling since she vowed to never use her magic again.”

The dark-haired mortal lifted his palms and shook his head. “Don’t look at me, man. I’m just as clueless as you are.” His dark brown gaze turned glassy for a moment and then his eyes widened as if he had suddenly remembered something particularly important. “Vergil, the Yakuzas are being aided by invisible dogs and… and flaming people.” His brow furrowed, doubting if he had described his most recent enemies correctly.

His boss turned to the large glass window behind Lilith’s desk, tapping his chin with his index finger. “Hellhounds and flame demons.”

“D-demons?” Marcus swallowed hard before continuing, “You mean like the inhabitants of hell?”

“Well,” his friend turned to face him with a wicked smirk on his lips, “the hellhound term should have given it away.”