Chapter 8-b

Standing in front of the princess, Zafan gripped the falchion with both hands and the wind picked up around him, making his hair float.

The creatures before him had gray skin, very similar to his, with black veins webbing under their exposed flesh and onyx eyeballs. But the odor coming off them was the worst, they smelled like rotten human food.

Gripping his weapon tighter, Zafan charged against them. He sliced the head of the middle one with one powerful slash but the other two flanked him and, out of the blue, a fourth one made a curve, dashing for Mina.

Dematerializing the falchion almost at the same time he morphed his body into a swarm of bats, the demonic bodyguard flew between the growing number of enemies. Zeroing on their target, dozens of bat feet grabbed hold of the creature closing in on the princess and threw him toward the front door. Grunts and growls resounded in the apartment as the creature landed over a few others, successfully blocking the entrance. At least for a few seconds.

"Go now, princess!" the demon hissed after retaking his humanoid form.

The female in question slowly shook her head, propping the baby over her hip with one hand and gripping the hilt of a shinny katana with the other. "I can help you fight. They are merely a bit stronger than humans. We can take them on," she affirmed with a glint in her silver irises.

Sighing, Zafan morphed into mist to then envelope four rotting monsters and slip inside them. With the sentient fog entering their noses, mouths and ears, the creatures began grabbing their necks, gasping for air.

Gripping the red and black hilt of the katana, Mina dashed between the twisted humans and swept her blade at the nearest one by her left. However, thanks to been wielded with only one hand, the katana didn't cut through the monster's neck, getting stuck at the vertebrates instead. Mina scowled at the same time the babe in her arm hissed at something at her front door.

The princess cursed herself for not paying attention to her sixth sense, the one which let her detect the auras of supernatural creatures and the one which grew exponentially when she was transformed into a vampire.

At the ruined entrance of her apartment, stood a Japanese man with black veins showing through the fair skin of his neck and hands. The aura coming off from him malevolent and full of hate.

He almost felt as a demon.

"Well, what do we have here?" the newcomer spoke as he stepped past the threshold. "A warrior princess in the flesh? I guess someone watched too many Xena reruns."

Arian squirmed in her hold, and she felt the prick of tiny, sharp claws on her skin. She needed to secure her baby and free her hands. "You don't know who you are messing with. When my hus-"

"Oh, but that's the plan, sweetheart. I'm not afraid of that fake Italian scum." The sounds of Zafan fighting an ever-growing number of enemies filled the apartment. Mina's gaze locked on the pitch-black eyes of the stranger as a couple of his goons surrounded her. "A monster like him trying to pass as human is ludicrous. Can he even find Italy on a map?"

Dread washed over the princess at those words. This man, human, demon, or whatever, knew Vergil's secret ... knew what her husband truly was and dared to attack her, nonetheless.

I underestimated the enemy.

Mentally pleading for her magic to work correctly, Mina visualized her baby wrap made from hell spider silk-which currently lay somewhere in her bedroom. She sighed in relief the instant the cool, soft material wrapped around her upper torso, successfully securing Arian, and leaving her hands free to fight properly.