Chapter 1

December 2014

"Everything has gone to hell."

Ever since the entire North American continent saw that meteor crossing the skies, things had been worsening little by little.

No. Things were already bad, but people didn't want to admit it. He didn't want to admit it.

He noticed the first signs days after his boss killed Yamaguchi Isao- the heir of the Yakuza empire. He began finding the mutilated corpses of his people. Some had even been burnt to a crisp but there was always something in common. In every one of them, the ribcage was opened and the heart missing as if it was the job of a ritualistic murderer.

And that was exactly what the police and the media started saying: that there was a ritualistic serial killer loose in the streets of New York.

His boss, Vergil Larsa, second-in-command of the Italian mob branch residing in the States, had other thoughts in the matter but he never once shared them with him.

And I bet the motherfucker knew all along what was really going on.

He sighed while his enemies crept ever closer.

"The fucking bastards don't know when to give up, huh?" Marcus gritted his teeth as he stood back to back with Luca while four monsters surrounded them.

The blond beside him laughed.

"That's the thing with the supernatural, they keep getting back up until you hit them with what truly hurts them."

Marcus arched a brow. Blondie talked as if he knew about the creatures attacking or, at the very least, about the whole "monsters are real" thing. "How do you know?"

"Move aside!" someone commanded from behind the circle of creatures. The guttural shout had an otherworldly echo similar to the demons in Hollywood movies.

Luca chuckled behind Marcus. "This is going to get good," he said before tapping the dark-haired man in the ribs with his special gun. "Here, take it. It's magical and will kill these bastards with one shot. Just remember to drench it in blood once in a while or it will lose its power."

Marcus was about to complain when Yamaguchi's youngest son, Akito, stood in front of his companions with a snarl on his face. The Yakuza's creepy black eyeballs fell upon Marcus with such hatred he felt gutted by the stare alone.

"Start shooting once I attack," blondie whispered at his back.

He tightened his grip on the "magical" Sig Sauer as he swept his gaze over his enemy and a cocky grin curved his mouth. "Man, look at you! I'd go to a gardener to get rid of that tree growing inside if I were you."

Akito growled and the black veins taking root beneath his sickly skin grew in length. "Italian trash. You won't be making stupid jokes when I finish with you." Glancing over his shoulder he ordered to his underlings, "Kill the blond but bring me the clown alive."

In response to the Yakuza's command, Luca summoned a large staff with a hissing snake head at the top as his eyes became pools of white light. Their enemies pounced a second before furnace hot flames came out of the snake head and the screams of gun shots filled the air.

But with every monster the men took out, two more appeared from the shadows while their boss stood behind with a smirk on his blackish lips.

Marcus grunted as he rolled over the slippery street to evade the rain of bullets. Those bastards not only had claws and greater strength, but they were using semiautomatic weapons as well. Blondie was protected by a flaming shield that incinerated anything it came in contact with but he wasn't so lucky. He didn't have powers nor a bulletproof vest to protect him from harm.