Chapter 4-b

When Luca arrived at the Larsas’ place, the mansion bustled with activity even at such a late hour. The guards at the door showed signs of tension; their shoulders square and stiff while they stood straighter than a wall. He pitied the guys. The unlucky bastards must have endured more than their usual dose of screams.  

Lilith Larsa was known for becoming a banshee whenever she got angry.

Standing before the office of New York’s Scarlet Queen of Crime, Luca combed his fingers through his short hair, trying to arrange his messy blond bangs. He growled at a few blue-dyed strands that refused to stay in place and sighed dejectedly before knocking at the door.

His stomach knotted as he waited. Though he had been a member of the Family for years, he had never met their elegant leader in person— unlike Marcus who held the absolute trust of both: The Scarlet Queen and her son, Vergil. Luca received his orders and reported to Vergil, so the only times he had laid eyes over Lilith Larsa were from afar.

The door opened, taking him out of his musings, and his white-haired boss appeared before moving to the side, silently letting him know he could enter. And there he found her, sitting over a large sofa like the crime boss she was.

Her long, crimson hair fell in waves over her left shoulder and her gorgeous amber eyes looked at him with mischief, as if she was fully aware he found her attractive.

Cuidado, Luca. That woman could rip out your heart and eat it in an instant; and I mean it literally, Huitzilopochtli’s voice warned while Luca entered the office. It was strange that the ancient Aztec god showed so much respect and caution before other creatures; meaning his bosses were powerful beings.

What are they? He asked to the divinity sharing his body, curiosity finally getting the better of him. It had been a question he had pondered for years but had never asked out of respect and fear. Plus, his godly buddy wasn’t one to be warning him about every supernatural creature they encountered. Luca had been close to death more than once because of Huitzi’s silence.

She is a demoness of such power that could leave me bleeding and broken, but he is a bit more. His mixed blood has the stench of the Greek gods.

Luca’s sky-blue eyes widened a second before he could reign in his surprise. He worked for two nuclear bombs. That was always great to know.

Suddenly, Vergil cleared his throat and his electric blue irises urged him to talk while the redhead’s lips curved up in a wicked smile. She crossed and uncrossed her long legs, letting the blond know she wore no panties beneath her bellflower, knee-length skirt.

The man swallowed hard before starting his report. He recounted how his group was ambushed by the Yakuzas and, later, how he covered Marcus’ escape. He knew his little supernova stunt would force him to reveal his secret, but it was worth it since he was able to save his friend’s life. Plus, everything was different now. He wouldn’t be seen as a freak since his superiors were supernatural creatures as well.

“So, it was you the one behind the explosion,” Vergil stated, putting his fingers against his lips in a thoughtful expression. “How did you managed to pull that off? It destroyed three blocks.”

Be absolutely sure of this before opening your mouth.

Luca was about to explain himself when the Aztec’s warning made him clamp his jaw. What is your problem all of the sudden? If they are so powerful like you say, we should come clean. I bet I’m already going to be punished for hiding you for five years, so I don’t want to make it worse.

“You’re merely a human,” Lilith said, getting up from the sofa and walking up to him. Her hand crawled up his chest until it reached his left shoulder. “How could you create such an explosion without conventional means?” Her hand lingered in his shoulder as she rounded him and stopped at his right side. Pressing her breasts against his back, she leaned to whisper in his ear. “Is there something you are hiding from us?”