Chapter 3-a

Flames surrounded the bodies of the demons, as they smiled showing two rows of serrated teeth, and the hellhounds’ growling transformed into ferocious barks.

“Jesus Christ!” Marcus exclaimed behind her. “Are those dogs I hear?”

Humans. They are so easily impressed.

Without any other warning, the hounds jumped at Tara, who— guided by her acute hearing— was able to shoot at two before the others collided with her body, taking the breath out of her lungs and throwing her to the floor. At the same time, the three Yakuzas spread out to start shooting at Marcus.

Tightening his jaw because of the pain that shot throughout his body, the dark-haired man jumped over the sofa in the nick of time. The couch stopped the bulk of the lethal projectiles, but a few found their way through, barely missing his shoulder and head. Feeling warmness spreading over his abdomen, he glanced down and saw the growing spot coloring his bandages with red. Marcus cursed out loud. His wound had reopened.

At the other side of the living room, Tara grabbed one of the infernal beasts by the neck to stop it from ripping out her own and pulled the Sig Sauer’s trigger one more time. Silence followed the “click” of the gun. The woman paled when no bullet was shot but, instead, the glowing symbols of the weapon disappeared.

The damn thing needed blood.

Though, she didn’t have to wrestle the dogs very long. The moment the Yakuzas stopped their assault to recharge, a whistle sounded all around the room and the hellhounds lost interest in her. Their sulfuric stench left in the opposite direction, right where the monstrous mobsters stood killing her sofa.

No. Marcus!

As she rose to her feet, Tara was surrounded by the fire demons, who smiled before throwing two fireballs at her. She jumped to the air— the fiery spheres missing her feet by mere inches but incinerating her furniture— and, doing an aerial spin, kicked the two devils with all her strength. The males’ heads and backs hit the left wall with so much force that a web of fissures formed on its surface and their bodies slumped to the floor.

Not looking back, the witch ran to Marcus. But, as she passed by one of the Yakuzas, the bastard grabbed her by the hair, making her grunt, while the hounds jumped over her ex. One of the invisible beasts bit Marcus’ injured shoulder and the other munched on his right thigh, eliciting screams that were deafening in Tara’s ears.

Time seemed to slow down in the witch’s eyes.

Memories flooded her. Memories of him, of them together. His smile every time he welcomed her home after a long night. The sweet things he murmured to her ear during those waking hours in bed. The promises made by candlelight…

Despite all the pain he caused her, now, when his life was in danger, she could only remember the good times they shared.

Roaring like a caged lion, she transformed into her demonic self and jumped over her enemy. Her hand was thrust into his back, tearing fabric and flesh to reach his innards. One pull and she felt, more than heard, the arteries snapping while she ripped out his heart. The wet “pop” sound as she crushed the organ between her clawed fingers awakened her hunger.

At the same time, Marcus fought behind the bullet-riddled sofa with one of the hellhounds after the beast tried to go for his neck; but his strength was waning quickly. Thankfully, both dogs were flung out the glass window when the second mutt tried to imitate the first.

The Italian shivered from the sudden freezing wind that came from the broken windows while he gawked at the sight before him.

A white female monster with his Tary’s angelic face offered him her clawed hand. Her form was both frightening and beautiful, tempting him to not only grab her hand but also stroke the ghostly white skin adorned by faint black veins.