Chapter 12-b

Tightening an arm around the girl’s waist, he lifted his mace in the air. Wintery wind swirled around him, and the weapon glowed brightly—a miniature green star in the middle of the night—before he crashed it against the street. The asphalt cracked, chunks flying in all directions, and a web of fissures extended as a shock wave followed. The enemies were swept away by the energy release in a matter of seconds.

Not willing to lose this opportunity, the ex-celestial extended his dark wings and jumped into the air. The chilly currents embrace him, carrying him higher in seconds as if answering the wishes of their master.

He looked at the human female in his arms and time appeared to stop while the memories assaulted him. Those same cinnamon brown eyes sparkled at him as their owner twirled and laughed around him. Her dance seductive and fun on equal parts.

The same plump lips that gave in to his sinful desire and moaned as he pleasured his lover, even when he was as virginal as her.

Her skin glistening with sweat as she brought the first of their children into the world.

The same voice roughened by tears which asked him to stop his father when his brothers came for her and their children—who had been deemed a danger to humanity and sentenced to death.

The human female inside his arms was the exact copy of the one he had fallen in love with and formed a secret family all those millennia ago. A copy of the woman his brothers had coldly murdered in front of his eyes before his father ripped his Grace from him and threw him in a dark hole. Cut off from the Light for eternity.

All because he had dared to love his father’s creation as a man instead of a brother.

How could he still wish to return home? How could he still wish to live among people who made him suffer so much?

Lost in thought, the Fallen Angel didn’t feel the disturbance in the air currents until it was too late.

Something heavy crashed into his back, breaking his ascend, and plummeting him from the air. It was pure luck he didn’t accidentally release the human girl in his arms. However, she screamed the moment they began to fall, forcing him to look down. Thank God, it was the roof from the building he watched her from and not the street below what was coming to greet them.

Maneuvering in the air, he positioned them so that she was on top the moment they crashed. He grunted, losing the air in his lungs as his back hit the concrete and was dragged on it by the force of the momentum. He felt some of his feathers being ripped from his wings, but, thankfully, no bones were broken.

Still tightly gripping his human, he lowered his gaze to her and watched her stillness with mounting worry.

Was she injured? Had he miscalculated the force of the impact and she got hurt despite his efforts to protect her?

“Camille? Camille, talk to me, please.”

Grunts and groans sounded to his left, taking his attention. A couple was slowly getting to their feet a few meters away from him. Not soon after he felt the human girl move on top of him, and his gaze shot toward her.

Her big almond-shaped eyes opened, and her lips moved almost hypnotically. “Are you hurt?”

She’s concerned about me?

He could only shake his head, throat too tight to talk. In all his long life, no one except his late wife, Kezia, had showed concern for his wellbeing. But here was this girl doing exactly what his wife had done all those millennia ago.

Not to mention she is Kezia’s spitting image.

“Are you alright?” he rasped. His voice thick by the emotions clashing inside of him.