Prologue

[Copyright © 2013 The Daredevil]

All rights reserved.

Dedicated to @tatesrose for the amazing job she did with editing. Check out her book Lips of Nicotine.

***

In all the years that I'd been to the same school as Ryder Cavanaugh, we’d had one conversation. Just one, despite being classmates for almost nine years. It wasn't even a nice conversation, the type of conversation that leaves you with a good feeling. No, oh no.

It happened when were both freshmen. I had just started my job at the school's library and that night was my turn to lock up. Our library was open to the public, so it stayed open even after school hours. Knowing this I'd begged my mom to pick me up, but like I'd known deep down when I'd asked, she was either late or wasn't coming at all. I crossed my fingers it was the latter and made my way to one of the benches next to the building, once I'd made sure to close up behind me.

I had barely sat down, my earbuds in my ears; music blasting when I caught movement in the back of the building, making my heart jump in my throat. This is the part in the movie where you yell at the protagonist to be smart and run, just get the hell up and run away from whatever was lurking in the dark.

But...like all the characters in horror movies do, because apparently, those movies are a lot more accurate than we give them credit for, I did the complete opposite of running. Had I known what was waiting for me around that corner, I would have kept my ass exactly where it was.

Pulling my earphones out of my ears, I stood up and cautiously made my way towards the noise, my heart leaping into my throat when the person moved out of the shadows, before anger settled in.

I recognized him instantly.

Ryder Cavanaugh.

The school's bad boy and daredevil. Well, at least according to the rumors I'd heard. I hardly knew him. I had seen him around school and in some of my classes, but we'd never spoken a word to each other. He lived in his world and I lived in mine. They were two very separate and quite opposite worlds. His world was made up of girls, parties and risks. While mine was homework, quiet evenings at home, and extra credit.

Don't get me wrong, my anger upon seeing him, was not misdirected, it wasn't like my blood boiled at the sight of the dude, again, I barely knew him. It was what he was doing that made any rational thoughts fly out the window at a staggering speed.

Ryder was known around school as Daredevil-Ryder, the guy that did absolutely any dare you dared him to do; and I mean any dare. He was crazy, and in my opinion stupid. Who the hell would put their life at risk to do some idiotic dare a moron has dared him to do?

While he was known as the daredevil, I was mostly known as reliable, safe, boring Casey. The girl who was so predictable, so utterly dull, that just the mention of her name could put you to sleep, as some of the popular kids had so eloquently put it. I was okay with that, I liked living in the shadows. If people didn't know you existed, they didn't care about the secrets you hid.

Returning my focus to the task at hand, I moved closer to him, my hands coiling into tight fists. "Hey!" He slowly turned towards me, gave me a quick glance, then turned back to the wall to continue his work.

"I'm talking to you," I demanded a reply, or at least some sort of acknowledgment. Hearing him sigh with frustration, I raised an eyebrow. What was his deal? He was the one being rude.

"Are you slow or something? I think it's pretty obvious that I don't care." He didn't even turn around to say this, he just kept on doing what he was doing. I glared at his back.