24 You Can't Really Leave But Don't Feel Like A Prisoner

Start from the beginning

I don't want to admit to him that without him, I have nowhere to go.

He pushed off my desk and went for my door. "You need to decide if people's actions involving you are selfish or pure." He slammed the door when he left.

Maybe he's angry at me for a reason he will never feel the need to share. Maybe that's why he never brought me clothes.

"Erik?"

He turns his head enough to see me. Under his amber eyes that seem dull are pronounced dark circles.

"Did you sleep?"

He snorts. "With a little help."

"From what?"

"A poor bottle of rum." Arrietty takes the seat on his other side. She raises her glass full of orange juice and perhaps champagne to me. "I heard he finished it off like a champ."

Erik rolls his eyes, scooping eggs onto his fork. "It was almost empty." He sets his fork down without putting the eggs in his mouth. Instead he opts to take a sip of water.

I lean toward Jonas. "Does he usually show up to breakfast hungover?"

"I'll just say he's usually moody at most meals."

Erik rubs his forehead. "Of course," he sighs. "Introductions. Arrietty, this is Iris. Iris, this is Arrietty."

"You aren't even going to mention it?" Shaking her head at him and wearing a slight grin, she breaks open the cinnamon roll on her plate.

"Fine." Erik motions to her while looking at me. "Iris, this is Arrietty, my ex."

I haven't had a chance to eat yet, and still I almost choke. "A pleasure," I force out. I don't want to explain to Erik at the moment that it was Arrietty I met last night. To prevent either of them from continuing the ex conversation with me, I start filling my plate before taking a hesitant bite of my food.

The pancakes may top the dinner from last night.

"Iris," Colton says, glass in hand.

I swallow, setting my fork down. "Yes?"

"There's someone I would like you to meet." He gestures to a blonde-haired woman seated beside him. I don't make eye contact with her, but I can see her smiling at me. "Vienna, as you've already heard, this is Iris. Iris, this is my girlfriend, Vienna Rosen."

Based on her smile alone she seems too sweet for him.

"A pleasure," I say again.

"Likewise." She nudges her shoulder against Colton's and tilts her head up at him. "I hope Colton hasn't scared you off."

Before I can answer, Colton cuts in. "You're not going to be drunk for your ceremony, are you, Erik?" He slices off a piece of his quiche.

"I'll be perfectly aware and cognizant. It's afterward I'll get royally drunk."

His ceremony is only two days away.

Jonas drops his napkin on the table and stands. "As insightful as this conversation is, I must admit I don't have the appetite for it at breakfast. I'll see you at dinner tonight." He looks down at me. "Can I show you the maze?"

Erik and Colton, while possibly listening, aren't looking at Jonas. They're too busy glowering at each other. Erik's hand tightens around his knife.