Chapter 15: Stakeouts

"Agent Daniels! What happened out there." The voice was muffled, like it was being shouted from behind a pillow. "Allie!" There was a long pause before the voice spoke again, "Sir, she isn't responding."

"Don't worry. She'll make it through. She's a tough one. We just need to give her space." There was complete silence after wards that felt like forever.

I slowly started to heard my surroundings. The sounds clearer than before.

"Agent Daniels. Good to have you back. Care to explain what happened out there." I stared blankly at Fury until I slammed my head back onto the pillow, realization of the past events coming through.

-36 Hours Ago-

"Daniels. Your first mission." Fury said as I walked into the debriefing office.

"What is it, Sir?"

"Stakeout. You need to watch this man." A screen popped up that showed a middle aged man with jet black, short hair.

"What has he been doing?"

"Under the table weapons selling, drug cartel, border crossings. A lot more illegal things that is too much for the police to handle. That's where you step in. He has been seen in a remote town just outside of Mammoth, California. The place is surrounded my desert, only a few stops here and there. You are to locate him, confirm it's him, and then arrest him." Fury explains bringing up pictures of the location and the things he's done.

"Copy that." I hear behind me.

"Your joining me?" I asked the agent hiding in the shadows.

"Well, it's your first mission. Fury needs someone to watch you." She replied sassily.

"Sir, please tell Romanoff I can do this solo."

"No. I assigned you two specifically to this case. You have some of the highest ranking skills in the world." He motioned for us to leave.

"Why don't you want me working with you? Afraid I'll cramp your style?" she asked crossing her arms.

"No my 'style' is just fine. It's just that... I work better solo." I answered part truth.

"That's not all, is it?" I dropped my shoulders and continued to walk forward.

"Damn spies and their damn freaking noticeability with damn lies and their damn-" I continued ranting until Nat cut me off. She put her hands on my shoulders and looked at me seriously.

"What. Is. Wrong." she said slowly.

"It's just that... I don't work well with others. I was never taught to be part of an equation. I was taught to be that whole equation." I lied. Wow... she actually believed that. I'm good. Better than I originally thought.

"Ok. Just don't let that take you over. You'll learn." I nodded and walked with her. "We have ten minutes until we need to be at the hangar. Your things are in your closet, just place your hand on the left side panel. You'll see." With that she walked away.

"Okaaaaay. Nothing too weird." I mumbled to myself.

I walked into my room and did as she told me to. I placed the palm of my right hand on the left wall of my closet. The back opened up and a catsuit with multiple weapons were laid out for me. I quickly stripped and pulled on the catsuit. I placed the belt on my waist along with all the weapons in their places. I grabbed a duffle bag and placed three water bottles, ten energy bars, five protein bars, and two packs of beef jerky in the bag. I grabbed a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt and exited the room.

I got to the hangar and a weird looking jet came into view.

"Don't worry. This is only the prototype. They're coming out with improved models. They're called Quinn Jets." I nodded at the information Nat gave me.