34: It's Not Love

Start from the beginning

"I-I...can't do it," Vince said, putting his hand up to stop Tommy's interjections.

"You better go out and tell her then," Tommy said. "You realize everybody came here to watch you two get married, she's waiting for you out there, man."

"It's just not right," Vince said, now shaking his head.

"You're sure?" Tommy asked, "You two are going to be for real this time?" He lowered his voice as he asked the question, his eyes flashing back and forth to me.

Vince looked to me and smiled, "Never been more sure of anything in my life."

"Okay," Tommy said, patting Vince on the back and giving me a head nod. "Go talk to Lauren, then."

Vince took a few steps back toward me as Tommy stood waiting with his arms crossed.

"I need to spend some time with her, to make sure she's okay, you understand that right?" Vince asked as I nodded quickly. Of course they needed to have a long conversation about why they weren't going to get married today. "Why don't you go home and I'll meet you there later."

"Okay," I said with a slight smile. "I love you, Vince."

"I know," he said, looking around him in almost a panic. "As soon as I get out of here, you and I are going to go away and figure us out, okay? Far away from everyone else...just the two of us."

"Vince," Tommy scoffed, and I smiled at Vince before he went back to where Tommy was standing. Vince turned back to glance at me before walking off with Tommy.

I wondered what I should do in this situation. My heart was racing with all of this anticipation, all of this being completely unexpected. Vince was supposed to be marrying Lauren today, now he was running off with me and everything was going to be different. I really hoped we were making the right decision.

~ Vince's POV ~

I couldn't believe what I was doing. These past few weeks have been nothing short of a roller coaster of emotions. I thought we were getting back together before the Empire State building, but we didn't, but now we were, right back in that same place again. I strongly hated my impulsive nature. I also hated my 'back and forth' between Amanda and Lauren. It was twisted, but thankfully, it was about to be over.

"Dude, I can't believe you," Tommy said, almost laughing at me.

"It's really complicated, Tom," I said, glaring at him beside me. He had no idea what had been going on between Amanda and I these past couple weeks. Hell, these past few months. There has always been an energy, a connection, between us. Even when we were apart, I couldn't help but feel myself being pulled back to her. This is what was right. And I was realizing it at the worst time possible.

"Lauren's in there," Tommy said, gesturing to the tent. I nodded at him before going in.

"Vince!" She exclaimed, turning around quickly. "Remember? We aren't supposed to see each other."

"Lauren," I said, moving over to her and putting my hands on her shoulders. "We need to talk."

She turned around and look at me with a confused expression on her face. I grabbed her hands and held them within mine and took a deep breath. I can't believe I had to break her heart. This was going to be so hard.

"What's going on?" Lauren asked, looking down to our hands tied together, knowing something was wrong just from the tone of my voice and the expression written on my face.

"I'm sorry sweetheart," I said, hanging my neck down. "I can't go through with this."

"Baby," she said, putting her hand up to my cheek and looking at me with a smile. "It's okay to be scared, we're supposed to be scared."