Interrogations and a Depressing Funeral

Sophie was so happy that Fitz was with her to help her through the death of her beloved friend, Iggy.

It was dark, but Sophie didn't want Fitz to leave. She wasn't sure she could face the dreams, the nightmares, the monsters without him. So, she plucked up her courage, dragged Fitz down the stairs, straightened her shoulders , and said, "GradycanFitzsleepwithmetonightsoIdonthsvrbaddreams?"

"Woah... what?" Grady said, a confused expression plastered on his face.

"Um... I was hoping that because of the.... events of today, Fitz could sleep with me to comfort me. Maybe?" Sophie said, looking at Grady with a hopeful expression. She knew Grady had agreed to it earlier, but she didn't know if he had changed his mind after it really happened.

Grady stares at her with a hard, stern look before moving his eyes to Fitz.

Sophie and Fitz's hands were intertwined and Sophie could feel the sweat coming from his palms as Grady looked at him.

After a solid minute of silence, Grady beckoned Fitz to follow him.

Fitz gave Sophie a peck on the cheek — which Grady glared at and shook his head in disapproval — causing Sophie's face to mimic a tomato.

Sophie took a seat at the kitchen table,  preparing herself to be bored for the next four, maybe five days.

Thankfully, Grady had led Fitz in the living room for their talk so Sophie could eavesdrop without being seen. 

Sophie walked over to the thin wall separating the rooms and sat down to listen.

"Fitz," Grady said, "my daughter is important to me, as you know. I know that you wouldn't hurt her, but I have to make sure. I can't loose her."

Sophie felt gratitude swell in her chest. Grady was just a big, overprotective father with good intentions.

"I promise I am not here to hurt your daughter or crush her heart or any of that trash. I here to do the opposite of that, actually. She has been through way to much and seen to much blood and death for an ELF lifetime. I am just trying to give her some much deserved happiness."

"Your a good person, I know that Fitz. I don't want my daughter engaging in any sexual activity until she is married and at least 20. I understand that you have to have kids by 21, so I am giving you a month of leeway. Do not rush the relationship."

"I know, Grady. I have even already told her that. I will go whatever pace she sets, I promise."

"You have good answers, Fitz. And I trust you. But, just.... respect my daughter and don't hurt her feelings or her."

"Of course, Grady. I can promise that. You are a great father, what with watching over your daughter and everything."

Sophie smiled. Ever the charmer.

"I learned from experience," Grady sighed. "If I was more involved with Jolie's life..."

"You can't blame yourself for the events of the past. It isn't your fault and you did a great job raising Sophie for the past four years."

"Thanks Fitz. Well, it is pretty late, I will let you get to bed. But leave the door completely open."

"Okay," Fitz said and Sophie could hear him start to walk out of the room.

Quickly, she made a dash to the stairs and ran up into her room. Thankfully, she wasn't seen and nobody would know she was eavesdropping. Grady interrogated him much less than what Sophie would've thought.