Darkness Is Your Nightmare (Ch. 9)

As the Nightmare Demon ravishes the rest of Sonia's subconscious, Matthew, Scruffles, and Sonia's younger self travel through a portal that could lead them to other parts of Sonia's mind and possibly save the other Sonia's from being wiped out. Inside Sonia's head, the Nightmare demon looms its blackness throughout the brain, creating a frightening area of black magic and five separate portals, each with blackened crystals above them, however, one of the portals was destroyed. The portal that the trio exited from has slowly disappeared and its crystal shined a crimson red color.

"I don't like the look of this...." Matthew started, "That demon creature has overtaken Sonia's subconscious and locked away different areas. If there's more Sonia's out there then-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Scruffles hastily interrupted, "We get it. Sonia'sprobablyamulitimixofherselfyaddayaddayadda. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT WE'RE IN A HURRY?! THAT DEMON COULD FIND SONIA ANYWHERE!!" Scruffles began to run, not wanting to lose any time. Matthew and Sonia looked at each other and then ran into a nearby portal.

In the portal that the trio jumped into, it was a rainy night within a noir setting. The happy town of Orujinshinaka that was always lively with folks was now decrepit and abandoned. The emptiness felt heavy as if an apocalyptic outbreak came down upon the citizens and caused everyone to evacuate... everyone except a young girl.

Walking down a long stretch of a seemingly abandoned neighborhood, a young girl came down wearing nothing but a long hoodie that covered much of her body. The girl looked around and saw cars parked in areas that hinder others. Some vehicles have a few scratches and scrapes while the others were ultimately wrecked. Buildings and shops had destroyed windows and corridors, while the roads and grounds were filled with pot-holes, meteor-like crash sites, glass on the floor, and crops and other plantation crippled and rotting... As the girl walked down the city street, she let a small necklace dangle from her hand. The necklace glimmers a red crystal among its golden metal plate. Further away, Scruffles, Matthew, and young Sonia are teleported into a bed of corn crops. The trio shrugs off the corn off themselves, look at each other, and then look at the surrounding area.

"Whoa... Are we in a comic book?" Scruffles asked, patting at her fur. The world they were in was reminiscent of their hometown... except that everything was wrecked and faltered. Young Sonia clutched Matthew as he scoured the area.

"This is no magazine, my friend..." Matthew began, "This is our home..."

"Our home...?" Scruffles pondered, noting on how wrecked everything is. The clouds among the gray sky began to swirl and thunder began to rage on. Scruffles, Matthew, and Young Sonia ran to the city to investigate. Once there, they found that no citizens had populated the area, and were shocked to see the destruction that has occurred. Young Sonia looked up and down at the tall buildings and broken glass walls. Each time she glanced somewhere, a shadow would watch over the trio from afar... stalking them... seeming ready to strike at any given moment.

"Ugh, where IS that freakin' orange haired-OOF!" Scruffles cried out as her head bumped into a tall figure. The tall figure turned out to be the girl in the hoodie withholding Sonia's amulet.

"Hey! Watch it, will ya?!" the girl yelled until she saw Young Sonia startled from the yelling, "Eh-? What-....Are you-...?" Young Sonia was scared but came a bit closer to the tall girl.

"You know, you can be a LITTLE bit nicer," Scruffles retorted at the tall, grim, and brooding girl.

"Scruffles...? Matthew...?" the tall girl stuttered and began to take off the top of her hoodie, revealing to be Sonia. However, this Sonia was not so cheery as her young counterpart. This Sonia was traumatized with fear and had a scar that warped part of her skin to be pure black while her left eye was bleached in crimson with no pupil to show for it. Young Sonia stared deeply into her counterpart's blackened face. Her body grew pale at the sight of her complexion, almost as if the life is being sucked out of her slowly.

"Sonia, what happened here? This place looks as if we fell into a nightmare," Matthew asked, "Why is everything... destroyed?"

"That's like asking why aren't you guys dead," she replied.

"Dead...? Us...?" Matthew queried slowly. The girl looked down as she let down her amulet, alluding to such a grim possibility, causing Matthew and Scruffles to quietly gasp. Young Sonia, however, was seeing something much different. Young Sonia walked up to her tall counterpart and reached for her necklace, but the older, darker Sonia pushed her away harshly and yelled with a deep, demonic voice, "KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THERE!!!" Young Sonia fell to the ground, and Matthew and Scruffles quickly guarded her.

"Sonia! What's gotten into you?!" Scruffles yelled, "You're acting crazy!" The older Sonia then scolded the pets hard. She was gravely disappointed that the pets got themselves killed trying to protect her, costing their own lives when they should have gone to save her father instead. The girl broke down, insulting herself, calling herself a weak, feeble creature as her fears came true. With that, the scar upon her face grew, slowly overtaking the depressed girl as she cried and fell to the floor. Young Sonia realized that the blackness overtaking her tall counterpart WAS the Nightmare Demon. It had already beaten the others here, completely invading Sonia's fear complex, slowly corrupting her until she is finally ready to die.

Matthew and Scruffles try to keep their composure and comfort their depressed, frightened master, but the blackness that is overtaking Sonia is causing the same deal of damage to them, slowly draining their color and soon their lives. They block Young Sonia, but the girl pushes herself out of the way and quickly hugs her fearful opposite. The blackness slowly overtakes the cheerful girl, but is then counteracted once the amulet began to work itself around them. Mystica's powerful crystal formed a purple light within Fearful Sonia's chest, beaming a light that pierced into the clouds. A pain-induced roar is heard, and the nightmare demon is blasted through the purple light, and disintegrated in the process. Fearful Sonia's eyes and mouth open wide and glow a deep purple light which then blast into the sky as well, causing everything around her and her cheerful counterpart to regain colors and life. The inanimate objects such as the broken buildings, cars, and roads may not have reformed to what they once were, but every living thing did. Scruffles and Matthew gasp as their lives were regained, and they cough and flop onto the ground. Young Sonia slowly exhaled and sat down carefully, while Fearful Sonia looked around in revelation.

"What happened here..?" Fearful Sonia asked herself.

"You're no longer afraid," a sudden mysterious yet calming, godlike voice spoke. Everyone startled and looked around for the mystery voice. A violet-colored portal then opened in front of them, and a violet crystal glowed from within hub world began to glow as well. The pets and Sonias looked at each other slowly and walked inside, unsure of what to say and unsure of how to react. Meanwhile, Sonia's real body continues to float, but halfway cocooned. Her light continues to shine but flickers with damage. When Fear Sonia, Young Sonia, Matthew, and Scruffles exit the portal, they gasp in shock to see the hub world in severe damage, and some of the portals to other parts of Sonia's mind are completely destroyed.

"The PORTALS!!!" Matthew, Scruffles, and Fear Sonia screamed.