The Legend Begins (Epilogue)

A few days have passed ever since the foreboding incident. On a happy note, it turns out that the other students of Orville J. Redmonn High have all evacuated, with the only cost being a few injuries. Nothing minor, but nothing major either. The few students that weren't at school during that fateful day were most likely sick and walked to school only to come back home once they found that the building was off-limits. Parents couldn't even give a proper explanation, even to some children that bombarded them with questions. They basically gave vague excuses such as, "It was an earthquake," or "The building construction broke down," or even the crazy theories such as "The school is cursed," or "Aliens." It always leads up to the theory of aliens. Back at the the neighborhood, Sonia finally garnered some much needed rest. There she could be found relaxing in her pajamas, comfy with Scruffles, and Matthew and having a good ol' dash of cereal and some early morning cartoons such as Yogi Bear and Top Cat. The good ol' days.

"Man... I still can't believe it," Sonia thought in realization and a smile, "I actually saved the day and became a mystic warrior... Just like in my fantasy comics." Sonia nibbled on a granola bar with a smile as she watched her cartoons. Matthew looked up at Sonia with slight concern. Things were peaceful again, sure. But now he felt as if there's more on the line. The little dog assures to her, "You know, with circumstances like these, we must be careful of what may occur and who we reveal this secret to." Scruffles pulled from the distracting cartoon and lightly added, "Yeah... But on the bright side, we get to have these exhilarating action moments that make my heart POUND for such adrenaline! Man, what a rush!!" Sonia gave Scruffles a weird look. With a smirk on her face, she comments with a laugh, "Gee Scruffles, Matthew told me you were afraid of his kind of lifestyle." Scruffles started to blush, embarrassed to the point of flailing her arms, trying to make a rebuttal, but it comes out as gibberish, making Sonia and Matthew laugh.

Her father enters the living room with a little bit of a slump as he undoes his tie and sits with his daughter and their pets.

"Hey, dad. Did you make it to work ok?" Sonia asked her father.

"Work? Pffft-hahaha! Traffic is horrendous! Since that freak mishap in the city, I can't even get out of our driveway. Besides, the minute my tires made an inch on the road, I got a message from my boss on my pager saying that work is canceled due to the destruction," Sonia's dad heckled, "Ah well..."

"A pager? The only people who use that nowadays are drug traffickers and junkies. Why would he have a pa-WAIT A MINUTE," Scruffles rambled to herself only to receive another punch in the arm by Matthew and then a sudden hug afterward. Scruffles gasps and tries to regain some air from Matthew's hug.

"You're... squeezing... TOO haaarrddddd..." Scruffles screeched and gasped under the muffles of Sonia's arms. She did this so Sonia's dad doesn't accidentally discover that her pets can talk. Sonia stared at her father with a smile, but as she looked away, her mind began to wander, and her smile slowly disappears. She asked herself quietly, "Can I keep this a secret from my dad...? If he ever found this out, I don't know what I would do..." Sonia's father noticed her mood and gently lays her on his lap and gently rubs her head. He asked his daughter if she was okay. Fearful of saying no, Sonia slowly nodded her head to assure to her dad that everything was okay. Only her pets, however, knew her true feelings about her newfound situation.

"Dad..?" Sonia asked with a little scare in her tone.

"Yes, Sonia?" Her father responded lightly. Sonia laid there as her mind rested like still water. She wanted to tell him the truth but is too afraid to do so. Instead of lying, Sonia precluded her thoughts with a more basic question such as, "Um... If we don't have so much traffic blocking the way today, do you think we can go out tonight and maybe grab some pizza or Chinese food?" Sonia's dad smiled and agreed, but he also added that if there isn't anything currently open, he can make Sonia a bowl of mashed potatoes, chicken and rice. Although that "potato-face" nickname still bothered Sonia, she couldn't resist the offer of her favorite food. Sonia agreed cute little giggle emerged from her slump, making her father laugh as well.