The Legend Begins (Ch. 9)

The demon charged at Sonia with sharpened, open claws. The beast's claws thrust from side to side, ready to impale the steady girl. With each thrust it made, Sonia dodges its attacks while her pets sprang right behind her. Sonia then took her sword and lunges at the beast. The power of the sword mixed with the amulet gave Sonia impressive acrobatic skills as she climbs up the creature's arm and swipes at its face. The beast roared painfully as a large gash was left on its face. The demon then knocked Sonia away, crashing her into a set of lockers. The children that attempt to escape are suddenly stopped by the beast as it blocked their way and scared them with its menacing glare. Puny, fear-induced souls sounds quite delicious right now...

"Sonia? SONIA! are you alright?" Matthew feared as he and Scruffles ran to their aid, "That was quite a hit you took."

"Yeah..." Scruffles intervenes, "What-... is that thing?"

"I don't know, but whatever it is, we HAVE to stop it," Sonia bravely enacted, surprising the cat-and-dog duo. Matthew's ears sprang as he warned Sonia, "But we have to get it out of the school. It's gonna kill all the kids!" She picks up her sword and calls to Scruffles, "Scruffles. Do you think you're able to distract the beast?"

"You must be pullin' my tail," Scruffles said a little defiantly. However, Sonia was not kidding as she stared at her cat in a serious manner. Her eyes were stiff and unemotional, almost as if the girl was entranced in the amulet's spell.

"Oh," Scruffles muttered as she narrowed her eyes and strutted away, "I think whatever that jewel is, it's getting to your head..."

Scruffles trailed the demon across the halls. Running through broken classrooms and a destroyed gymnasium until she found the monster preparing to eat a rather pudgy boy. To think on her feet, Scruffles looked around for something to distract him. That is until she found out she was standing on a few pebbles. She picked up as many as she could and tosses them at the beast. The beast felt each pebble prod at its spine. It slowly turns its head to Scruffles, giving the cat a devilish glare. Taking a chance, Scruffles begins to taunt him, "HEY BEAKFACE! Y'know, it's birds like you that make a great meal in my tummy! I could eat you up and for weeks and never have to eat anything ever again!! You're nothing but CHICKEN & BONES to me!!!" The demon gets taken aback, assaulted by Scruffles' gut-punching insults.

"Maybe I could have some... Sautéed turkey roast. Chicken wings. Filet mignonette with a dash of bird meat. Mmmmmmm... Such tasty goodness," Scruffles continued to talk up some amazing bird-based meals... that is until her stomach began to growl.

"Oh great, now I'm ACTUALLY hungry," muttered a regretful Scruffles. Just as she annoyedly lowered to her paws, the demon crept behind her with its face pressing on her back and growling loudly in her ears, ".....but... Maybe that can wait." Scruffles immediately turned to the beast and gave it a queer-looking smile, grabs its cheeks and gives it a goofy kiss on its beak and then quickly runs away laughing as the demon shakes its head, roared and gave chase to the wack-a-doo Scruffles. Scruffles sprints on all four legs as it got closer and closer to her.

"Yo! Back it up! I'm a majestic woman," Scruffles scolded, "And you NEVER get behind a majestic-" Scruffles was suddenly interrupted as the avian attempted to snap her tail clean off, but missed by just a hair. The cat grabbed her tail and ties it around her waist, away from the demon's gaping maw. Scruffles's head pounded with adrenaline as she ran back into the school hallway. Meanwhile, Matthew and Sonia make their way to a nearby exit that led to the school's baseball field. There they watched out for Scruffles or any passing students.

The cat ran through the halls as the demon's wings break through the classrooms heading to where Matthew and Sonia are while screaming, "RUUUNAWAAAAYY BIIIIIIRRDDD!!!!!" Sonia gasped and quickly shouted, "QUICK! GET DOWN!" as she and Matthew break for cover before Scruffles and the avian demon charge for the exit. Sonia quickly grabs Scruffles and pulls her to safety right before the demon crashes through the exit and drilling itself into the ground, leaving a gigantic hole in the wall. Scruffles wheezed hard and deep, frazzled and shaky from the adrenaline. Sonia suddenly snapped out of her trance and comforts her shaken cat.