Chapter 63, Kate

Twenty men to our three.

One blocked exit.

No gun.

At least Xander and I had our bulletproof suits as Dick's men opened fire. Xander jumped in front of Charlie as the three of us dove behind the nearest metal table.

Twenty men left an explosion as my only option. I frantically began searching through shelves of chemicals for ones that could explode.

Bullets fell around us like raindrops. If raindrops were fast enough to kill someone.

DNA sample, DNA sample, DNA sample, MY DNA sample

That one I smashed.

Before I could find anything Charlie opened a mini-fridge under the table, grabbed a bottle of vodka, and faster than I'd ever seen made a Molotov cocktail with a piece of fabric from his shirt and a lighter from his pocket.

Xander and I followed his example with the other two bottles.

Without hesitation, I chucked mine at Dick but one of his men tackled him out of the way. They took off running as the explosion covered their escape.

Xander had thrown his at a group of men, lighting about six of them on fire. They scattered and ignored us as they desperately tried to put out the flames.

Charlie still hadn't thrown his.

Idiot.

I grabbed it and threw it at the men who were still firing at us. As they collapsed I charged into the flames, knife in hand.

There was blood everywhere as I slashed and stabbed through the group of men. The fire illuminated the terror on their faces as I danced through the dying men, a grin on my face.

My suit protected me from the fire and bullets and I felt invincible.

I glanced over to Xander and Charlie. Xander was fighting another group of men. He looked badass as he fought. Still, he hesitated slightly before each kill.

Barely noticeable but still there.

Charlie didn't even bother to hide his hesitation. He had a man pinned to the wall, knife at his throat. But as I watched in surprise he lowered the knife and the man turned to fight with us.

I spun and stabbed a man as he tried to sneak up behind me.

As the last man fell I saw Rachel Gold cowering under a table. She looked terrified as the flames reflected in her wide brown eyes.

Xander has his gun out as he walked towards her.

He was going to kill her.

I'd had that look once.

Pools of blood and a man walking towards me.

She was a child.

Suddenly I was on top of Xander and his gun was pointed at his head.

He looked shocked and I realized what I had done.

Rachel was Gold's daughter. And I was Death's.

Ignoring Xander I walked over to Rachel and offered her a hand. I opened my helmet and smiled kindly.

"It's okay now. Nobody's going to hurt you I promise." I said.

Rachel tentatively took my hand and stood. She hovered a few inches behind me as I turned on Xander.

"She's innocent Xander," I said.

"Since when do you care? She lied to us; she's what got us into this whole mess. What possible reason do you have to protect her?"

Everything I am is because of my mother. A woman who saved me.

"Because she has information that could be useful to me. And I'm guessing with the way Dick treats her she'll be willing to tell me everything."

I glanced as Rachel who nodded.

"Devil I'm with you on letting Rachel live but Gold's getting away." Charlie interrupted.

I picked up a gun from the floor and took off in the direction Dick had fled. My steps echoed off the concrete floor as I ran.

Good. I wanted him to hear me coming.

I pushed past soldier after soldier none of who tried to stop me. Charlie and Xander caught up to me. Then to my surprise, a panting Rachel was running beside me.

Impressive.

"He has a private helicopter near his room." Rachel gasped. "Follow me."

Rachel led us through the maze of tubes comprising the Gold Order base. A minute later we reached a door. Rachel entered the code but let Xander go in first.

Dick Gold himself was filling a duffle bag with cash while surrounded by expensive furniture and technology.

He looked up at us like a deer caught in headlights.

Immediately ten men surrounded him while the eleventh ran to start the helicopter.

Charlie grabbed Rachel by the wrist and pulled her to safety in the closet as the gunfire exploded around the room.

Knife in hand I charged towards the men on the left as Xander took the right.

The first man tried to shoot me one last time and as the bullet bounced off my helmet I stabbed him in the neck.

The other four attacked all at once and, reveling in my invincibility, I played defense in the ten seconds until I got bored.

After that, I drenched Dick's white carpet in the blood of his own men. My knife finding arteries and veins as if it was an extension of my arm.

As Xander finished the last of the men I took three steps forward and had a knife to Richard Gold's throat.

This was the man who'd tried to kill my family and me. Who'd taunted and ridiculed me. Who'd been a thorn in my side since before I was even born.

A man even my father couldn't kill.

And worst of all he'd hurt his own daughter.

Innocent Rachel with no mother to save her.

With no way to grow fight back, or even defend herself.

"Please..." Gold begged as tears ran down his face.

But I had no mercy left. Only anger for the man in front of me.

"Rachel," I called. "Do you want to kill him or should I?"

Rachel walked tiptoed forward over the bodies and over to her father. She looked so scared.

"She won't kill me." Gold laughed. "She's nothing without me. Worthless and unloved. I'm all she has."

"She has me." Charlie interrupted. "I never liked the way you treated her. And I'm starting to think all of those bruises aren't from sparring. Kid I'm here for you no matter what."

"And she has me," I said. "Rachel you have a place at the Legion in my inner circle if you want it."

With my free hand, I gave Rachel one of my extra knives. She gripped it like a lifeline as she knelt next to her father.

"You wouldn't kill your own father." Dick laughed.

And then he had a knife sticking out of his neck. A single tear ran down Rachel's face. But she didn't look sad. She looked free.

"I am not worthless. And you will never hurt me or my brother ever again." She whispered. 

***

Hi people! What do you think of Kate and Xander's daring battle? What will happen now that Gold is finally dead? Where will Rachel go with her new freedom? Please vote and comment, I want to know what you think!

-Jade