Chapter 34, Kate

It's surprising how many throwing knives you can fit in a cocktail dress. I'd had my designers sew twenty of them into the skirt of the vantablack dress. Not to mention the poison spikes in the heels of my six-inch stilettos, and the gun in my clutch.

Knowing Xander was attracted to me I'd picked one of my more attractive outfits. The dress was long and tight with a slit going up my right leg. The slit helped me reach the knives better.

The limo pulled up in front of the bar and I got out. As I'd promised in the message I was alone. Of course, I did own the bar and everyone in there would die for me if asked.

I walked in and nobody bothered to stop me they simply nodded and held open the door. I'd bought the bar when another place had had the audacity to card me.

The Hideout was full of shady people, most of whom had worked for me at some point in my life. They all knew me or my father and they parted like the red sea as I walked through.

I made my way to the VIP room in the back. To my annoyance a couple of hackers I'd contracted a couple times had already taken over the room.

"Out," I ordered.

"Who the fuck are you?" one asked, very obviously drunk.

"Satan herself."

One of the men, fortunately, recognized me; he grabbed his friend and yanked him out of the room. I didn't need to be on their good sides anymore. I had Izzie to do all of my hacking now.

Then the door opened and Xander Silver himself walked into the room. He was being led by a young, blonde, waitress whose nametag read "Jenny".

I was about to greet Xander but I noticed Jenny clutching her wrist. It was clearly broken. Recently by the look of it. I stopped the girl as she was about to leave.

"Who broke your wrist?" I asked.

"My wrist?" She glanced at it as if realizing it existed for the first time, "Umm, I crushed it in a door. It's fine I took some Paingone."

"The angle's wrong for being crushed in a door. Now tell me who broke your wrist."

"I really don't want to cause trouble ma'am, it's fine."

"No it isn't, now tell me who broke your wrist. Everything will be ok I promise."

Jenny hesitated for a moment, she was clearly nervous. Then she pointed to a large man sitting at the bar. He was clearly drunk.

"His name's Daniel Waters, he's a big stockbroker. Please just leave it be, he's a powerful guy."

"I can guarantee I'm more powerful. Has he done anything like this before?"

"We all know to avoid him at this point. It's my fault for making eye contact."

Resisting the urge to scream, I opened my clutch, making sure Jenny couldn't see the gun, and pulled out a vial of MC-57 and handed it to Xander, strangely he had remained silent through all of this.

"Fix her wrist." I ordered him, "and don't let her see what I'm about to do.

Then I walked over to Waters as he pounded another beer. I loved the sound of high heels clicking against tile. I loved the sound of the knife plunging into Daniel Waters' throat more.

I walked back over the VIP room. Xander had fixed Jenny's wrist and she was looking at me in awe and horror. I turned on Xander.

"You let her watch?"

"I couldn't stop her, and I didn't think you were gonna kill the guy right here."

"I've worked here for over a year, I've seen murder before," Jenny said.

"Well, at least he won't be bothering you anymore. Tell the manager we have a code 11 and to call me tomorrow at 3 pm. Then take the rest of the night off."

"Yes ma'am, thank you, ma'am."

Jenny grinned at me and left the room. Code 11 meant the entire staff would get sizable bribes to keep quiet. We wouldn't have to worry about the guests; anyone who drank here knew what kind of bar it was.

I turned to Xander.

"Give me one good reason why I'd team up with you to stop Gold," I said.

"Why did you just kill a guy in your own bar?"

"He broke my waitresses wrist. Now, why should I team up with you?"

"I know what he did, why do you care?"

"Because I hate men like him, men who treat women like shit. Now for the last time, what possible reason do I have to let you help me?"

"Because Richard Gold still thinks I'm on his side, that has to be useful to you."

I was about to respond with a lie about how that wasn't that useful. Then I noticed the word still, he'd been working with Gold. I hadn't thought Xander had it in him.

"You were on his side then?"

"I would never. Some of my friends had other ideas though."

Why wouldn't he lie? Why reveal his weakness?

"This is why I don't have friends, if a subordinate betrays you, you kill them and move on. I'm guessing you didn't even kick them out."

"They're my friends. Now do you want to make the alliance or not" He was getting angry, I liked this side of him.

"If Gold really thinks you're on his side then we can call a temporary ceasefire." I decided. "We can communicate via x-com and I'll tell you the plan as soon as I decide on one."

"Do I get a say in this plan."

"Of course not."

"Either I get a say or I'm out. And I don't think you want to give up a man on the inside. Especially since Gold killed all of your spies last month."

I was taken aback. My spies' identities had been leaked and they had been killed, I'd lost three Ghosts that day. But that Xander would know about that and that he'd use it against me surprised me.

I was impressed.

"Fine, you can make suggestions."

"Deal."

We shook hands. For the first time, I noticed how attractive he looked in his collared shirt and dark gray blazer. And the way his green eyes...existed.

I wasn't supposed to like him. I'd have to kill him at some point. But for now, we were in a ceasefire. For now, I didn't have to hate him.

And for some reason or other, I found myself kissing him.

The kiss was light and soft. And then it was hungry and passionate. And then it was all-consuming. And then it was over.

"We're meeting in person now, no x-com," I said.

"As soon as possible."

***

Hello readers! Did Kate do the right thing by helping Jenny? What will come out of Kate and Xander's new alliance? What do you think of Kate and Xander's second kiss? Please vote and comment, I want to know what you think!

-Jade

Ps. The image above is how I imagined Kate's dress