Chapter 58, Audrey

My head hurt and I was more tired than usual. But I wouldn't let that stop me. I was on a mission.

I hadn't expected the ambush.

If I known I definitely would have alerted Kate. I really should have known Gold. He'd tricked people like this in the past but I'd never actually cared since I was on the winning side.

The one mistake Gold had made was leaving the trunk of his car unlocked. It was easy to find the midlife crisis mobile as so many of us at the Order called it.

After that, it was simple to hide in the back of the bright red, overly loud, sports car. Even after he'd parked nobody went near the car through fear of breathing on it wrong.

I'd fallen asleep during the several hour drive and it was six in the morning when I'd woken up. I'd snuck out of the car and set off into the base.

I was going to find Doc and kill him.

Then I'd free Kate and Xander and escape.

If there was one thing I knew it was Gold. He saw himself as a hero, so he'd never confess to murdering me. He'd say I'd quit, or even better glorify me as a hero who died for him.

Gold always loved a good story about someone dying for him.

So as I walked through the Gold Order base I held myself with new confidence. I wasn't the shy receptionist but the badass warrior. I'd had ten days of intense martial arts training and could confidently take down a non-moving punching bag.

Still, I had to try.

As I walked nobody gave me weird why-aren't-you-dead looks or oh-my-god-you're-okay looks so I decided Gold must have said I resigned or moved.

Maybe he hadn't said anything at all.

I made my way through hallways and passageways towards the lab. I'd thought it was used for research and weapons design while in reality, it was probably a virus lab.

My headache had gotten worse and my muscles were weirdly sore. I really shouldn't have spent the night in the trunk of a car. But it wouldn't stop me.

On my way, I went through the weapons room and grabbed a gun and a knife. I fastened them to my waist with a black weapons belt. It went perfectly with my pale blue tank top and pink leggings.

"Audrey? What are you doing here?" A friendly voice asked and I spun.

The man in front of me was none other than Richard Gold's second in command, Charlie Friar. Of course second in command was a loose term since Gold never told him anything.

Charlie was a tall African American guy in his mid-thirties who was never seen in anything other than a Gold Order uniform. He was in decent shape and rather smart. He was however stupidly loyal.

In Charlie's eyes, Gold was a great man rather than a good lie.

He'd know about the virus but not about the casualties or the testing method. Sadly he was a genuinely nice man working for an overconfident villain.

"I thought I'd head down to the range, I've always wanted to try shooting one of these things," I said casually.

"I'd be happy to teach you later if you want. Shooting's a bit scary when you're first learning." Charlie said.

It definitely was. Sam had handed me a deadly weapon and told me to shoot a piece of paper thirty feet away. But I'd learned and even managed to hit the center of the target three times.

"I might take you up on that later but Jim already offered to give me my first lesson."

Jim was a guard who was known for being a great shot. He was also hilariously forgetful.

"Hopefully he doesn't forget to meet you." Charlie laughed, "Speaking of forgetting don't forget to go to the lab and get your vaccine."

"I won't forget. See ya, Charlie."

I smiled and left. Vaccines!

If I could smuggle one out the legion might be able to replicate it. I set off towards the lab with a new purpose.

I passed familiar faces as I walked through a place I'd considered a home. A place where I'd thought I was fighting for what was right.

Full of fire I'd given up a stable job to fight for a rebellion. And while being Gold's assistant hadn't exactly been the front lines I'd learned so much.

And now with the backing of the Legion, it was time for a new chapter in life. A whole new Audrey.

Then I got to the lab.

And Doc was inside.

Our eyes met and we were alone in a tube full of deadly chemicals and one cure. I could have turned and run but I was done hiding.

Whole new Audrey.

I pulled my gun, remembered to flip off the safety, and charged. I aimed and pulled the trigger.

Ammunition dumbass. Maybe next time I'll try some.

So as I ran I dropped the gun and grabbed my knife.

Doc picked up a gun from a nearby table. The look on his face was smug, ready to cast me aside once more.

But I didn't intend to go down easy.

My legs hurt and my brain felt like it was about to explode. Yet I leaped forward and tackled Doc with all of my strength.

He dropped his gun and with a battle cry on my lips, I drove the knife towards his heart. But he was twice my size and he grabbed my tiny wrist.

And with my other hand, I socked him on the jaw. And again and again. And again until the man who'd cast me off to die in a hole bled at my hand.

My knife hit the floor as my wrist was slammed against a shelf. And an empty beaker fell, hitting me in the head.

In the moment I was distracted Doc grabbed a piece of the shattered beaker. But my adrenaline-filled charge wouldn't end so easily.

Being stabbed in the gut didn't hurt as much as one would expect.

The adrenaline was welcome as it dulled the aches I was beginning to realize weren't from sleeping in a car. I was sick. And I hoped it wasn't what I thought it was.

And if it was I was angry.

Doc had dismissed me as weak. Insignificant. Worthless.

And I wasn't. I was strong and important and human.

Here he was, rising to stand over me.

And ripping glass out of my stomach didn't hurt in the slightest as my very vision turned red.

Doc laughed as I crawled clumsily forward, slipping on my own blood.

He stopped laughing when I stood.

He stopped breathing when I drove the piece of glass up under his ribcage and into his heart.

And then I fell.

I wasn't ready to go.

New Audrey.

I didn't want to die.

My clothes were covered in blood.

My mother would cry.

My father would too.

I didn't fail.

I fought until the end.

It hurt.

There really was a light.

"Goodbye."

***

Hi guys. No questions today, I've been putting off killing Audrey for a while and I'm kinda crying right now. This chapter is dedicated to Audrey Fields, you may have been fictional but I loved you regardless. May you rest in peace, you did good.

-Jade