Chapter 45, Kristin

Leo was supposed to be there to help me, but I had a feeling his main job was to keep me from blowing our cover to Gold. It wasn't the best of strategies but what else could they do.

I probably wouldn't betray them. I wanted Death gone, and being fourth in command was the best way to do that. I really just wanted to avenge Caitlyn; she'd been fifteen when she died.

Especially since if Xander, Leo, and Izzie all died then the Order would be mine. And Izzie had already been captured by the Legion; she was probably already dead.

The car we were in pulled up at the meet spot. Despite having found the location of the Gold Order base ages ago the Silver Order pretended not to know. Just in case.

Leo and I got out and walked into the roadside diner that serves as a Gold Order safe spot. It was far enough away from civilization that the Legion wouldn't find us.

It was no different from any roadside diner I had visited in my 22 years on earth. If I hadn't known it was a safe spot I would have thought it a decent spot to get cheap, unhealthy, food.

Gold was sitting in a booth in a manner that suggested he'd worked out a pose ahead of time. He rose out of the faux leather booth and gave me the fakest smile I'd ever received.

He'd brought eight guards who were stationed around the room. There were three exits and no good sniper spots. We were good.

"Richard. So good to finally meet in person." I greeted him.

"Good to drive for an hour to finally meet you too Kristin. And you must be Leo, good to know my entire Silver Order operation isn't being run by one woman." He replied.

"Gold." Leo greeted the sexist dumbass coldly.

"Kristin, the cook's out at the moment. Do you mind throwing together some sandwiches while we talk? I'm guessing you're the only one here who can actually cook." Gold laughed.

"I'm actually a terrible cook," I told him.

I know twenty different ways to poison someone though.

Gold had been a means to an end to me. The sexist idiot was the main reason I'd never joined the Gold Order in the first place. I'd be stuck on secretary duty.

"I can make those sandwiches while you two talk." Leo offered.

Gold nodded to him before taking out his x-com and pulling up several files I'd already seen before. He then explained, for the third time, how the plan was going to work.

The virus had already been tested and assembled but it took a little over two weeks to fully develop. Meaning we had one week until the virus was finished.

Personally I didn't care if anyone stopped it or not. As long as Death died somehow. But Xander was my best bet and I'd never loved the idea of letting so many people die.

"And that's how everything works. Any questions?" Gold asked.

"No questions. I have something important to tell you though. Xander's teaming up with the Legion, he thinks if they work together they can stop us."

"I already know that. I sent a group of men to try to kill the Devil at one of her favorite hangouts. Most of the men were killed when they tried to escape but my daughter had snuck along and managed to get back to me with the information."

"I didn't know you had a daughter," Leo said as he walked in with three plates of grilled cheese sandwiches and French fries.

"I have two children, Jacob and Rachel. I hardly think that's the point though, how did Silver even find out the virus wasn't destroyed." Gold said.

"Leo here told him, he's betraying us to Xander," I said.

Leo looked at me in a what-the-fuck-are-you-doing manner. Gold simply smiled as I pulled out my gun and shot Leo in the chest. Crimson liquid stained his dark gray t-shirt as Leo collapsed to the floor.

I felt his neck and after telling Gold he was dead went back to my seat. I took a bite out of my still warm grilled cheese sandwich. Leo had been a good cook.

"You're more ruthless than I thought sweetheart. Won't Xander get suspicious that he's dead?"

"Leo died in a tragic car accident, nothing suspicious whatsoever. Now I have to go program a self-driving car to go off a cliff but before I go I want to know where the virus is located."

"We agreed you don't need to know. Why do you even care?"

"Because things have gotten a lot riskier with the Legion involved, if something goes wrong I want to be able to finish the plan."

"Actually Kristin I don't think I'll be needing you at all anymore." Gold said. "The only reason I was even using you was to keep the Silver Order from finding out the virus wasn't destroyed. Now it's too late."

"I gave up everything for this! You have to still need me. I'm practically Xander's second in command." I begged.

"Too bad you aren't first. Have a good rest of your day Kristin."

And with that Richard Gold got out of his booth and walked out the door trailed by the armed guards preventing me from killing him. Xander would be pissed.

"Well, that was an asshole move," I said.

Leo got up from the floor and pulled off the fake blood coated, bulletproof, chest protector he was wearing. Xander has wanted something to convince Gold I was on his side.

And killing Leo had almost worked.

"Really was. This bulletproof thing is itchy."

"Try wearing a bra for ten years and get back to me. I seriously can't believe he just blew off our alliance like that."

"We'll figure out another way to stop him. Also, you are not practically second in command."

"With Izzie captured and you dead I am. The deal was that I had to go with the plan not that it had to succeed."

Also, I have no other options since I burned all of my bridges.

"That was the deal. We should go back, also as second in command I order you to tell Xander the bad news."

"Fine."

As we got back into the car I realized I didn't like getting ordered to do things. I'd have to work on that when this whole mess was over.

***

Hey guys! What do you think of Kristin? Will she be a good fourth in command? What will happen to the ceasefire now that the Silver Order no longer has spies in the Gold Order? Please vote and comment, I want to know what you think!

-Jade