Chapter 36, Audrey

Chaos was gone when I woke up. Both in the sense of it was calm and peaceful and that the little German Shepherd puppy has left during the night.

Kate had gone out the night before and a maid had told me to watch him. I, of course, happily obliged. It was odd having maids bring you food and clean up after you all the time.

I was settling in at the Legion.

There's something I'd never thought I'd think.

It was my second day here at the Legion. So far I'd only explored a bit of the Ghost compound and watched videos on the x-com they'd given me.

I'd even talked to my parents just in time for our weekly chat. They didn't know about my kidnapping and I intended to keep it that way. They hadn't even known I was in the Gold Order and they wouldn't know I was in the Legion.

I didn't want them to worry.

Then there was a knock on the door and I flinched. I was still a little shaken about what had happened.

"Come in," I called.

Sam peaked her head in and the rest of her followed a moment later. She was smiling and carrying a pile of clothes.

"I got you some clothes, I thought I could start you on some basic training today." She said with a friendly smile.

"Sure," I chirped, "Just warning you I'm not the most athletic of people."

"Don't say that. I know it's cheesy but you have to stay positive for it to work."

"Ok sure."

"Also there are a few things I wanted to go over with you about the ghosts."

"Sure."

"So the way it works for the new recruits is you train here for a month and at the end of the month, you can choose if you want to stay here or leave. Nobody here is a prisoner.

"If you choose to stay you can choose to be a spy, an assassin, a hacker, or you can work with the strategists. Also, everyone gets a code name that applies to her skills.

"For example mines Story because I'm great at elaborate lies. It's like the Devil and Death but on a smaller scale. Any questions" She finished her clearly memorized speech.

Did I really want to join an organization of assassins? Yes. They saved me when nobody else did.

"Nope, no questions, see you in five minutes."

Sam smiled and ducked out. A few minutes later I'd brushed my teeth, put on the gray tank top and blue shorts, and put my hair into two braids.

I stepped out to find Sam yelling at another girl. The other girl was pretty and wearing a lacy pink sundress and flats. Which was why I was surprised to see Sam yelling at her.

"For the last time, Kate said no. That means you don't go near her without my permission." Sam snapped.

"I don't need your permission to go anywhere Samantha," the girl said, deadly calm, "I just want to ask her a few questions."

"I don't mind answering a few questions," I said. And for the first time, both girls noticed me.

"See Audrey doesn't mind," the girl said, her tone was friendlier this time, "why don't you come with me and we can talk."

I moved to follow her but Sam put a hand in front of me in the way you would stop a small child from running onto train tracks.

"You're not taking her anywhere Dawn," Sam's voice had gone deathly quiet.

Then without another word, Sam grabbed my wrist and pulled my away with surprising strength for a girl her size. As soon as we were well away from Dawn she turned to me.

"Promise me you won't talk to her, I don't even want you near her without me."

"What's wrong with her, she just wanted to talk to me."

"Dawn is an interrogator Audrey," her tone was serious, "as in she tortures people for information. She wanted to make sure you aren't still working for the Gold Order. And I don't want you tortured into insanity."

"Why would she think that? Mr. Gold literally drugged me and left me to die. The guy he left me with wanted to test a deadly virus on me and when I tried to escape he beat me half to death."

"I know. Look, Dawn isn't exactly fully sane. Her code name's Mercy, as in the last things her victims beg for before she starts. Come on why don't we run some drills and get our minds off of her."

"Sure."

I shuddered at the thought of what Dawn did. I'd almost gone with her. Thank god Sam had saved me.

Sam led us out of the alcove we'd been standing in and I followed her into an area full of various training rings equipment.

We stepped into the only empty one and I watched in awe as two girls fought each other with punches and kicks so fast I barely had time to register each one. Yet the both blocked whatever was thrown at them.

Then one of the girls faked a punch with her right hand before catching the other girl in the face with her left hand. Then to my surprise, the girl who'd gotten hit grinned and shook the other girl's hand.

"Earth to Audrey," Sam called.

I turned "Sorry were you saying something?"

"I was just gonna ask if you wanted to start." She grinned. "Izzie and Lia are pretty good aren't they?"

"Yeah, they are. Can you do that?"

"I can do better."

To prove her statement Sam turned around and did a graceful backflip towards a punching bag before executing a series of precise and dangerously quick punches and kicks.

One of the girls who'd been fighting earlier called over.

"Nice moves Sam, showing off for the new girl?"

Sam laughed. "Only a little Lia, haven't you been doing the same with Izzie?"

"Only a little."

The other girl, Izzie laughed. Then she wrapped her arm around Lia and kissed her on the lips. They broke apart grinning and Sam laughed.

"Awwwww." I gushed, "Are you two together?"

I'd always been a huge romantic. And Izzie and Lia seemed adorable together.

"We're just starting and we haven't really talked about-" Lia started.

"Were together." Izzie cut her off.

Lia immediately threw her arms around Izzie. I smiled. They were seriously cute together.

"Get a room you two." Sam teased.

Izzie rolled her eyes "Why don't we go chill in my room?"

"Sounds perfect Hermosa."

The two grabbed each other's hands and started walking towards the dorms. I felt a little jealous from my place of perpetual singleness. Of course now definitely wasn't the right time for a relationship.

I turned to Sam.

"Teach me to fight."

My mind now on my goals I decided I wouldn't let Doc get away with hurting me. Even if I had to kill him myself.

***

Hey fellow humans! What do you think of Audrey staying with the Legion? Will she choose to stay? What about Izzie and Lia's increasingly cute relationship? Please vote and comment, I want to know what you think!

-Jade