Chapter 6: Escape

Start from the beginning

The knife, I saw, was being picked up by Audra from the floor. It had fallen from Neil's hand, and so would we, if we didn't get out of her immediately.

Hanz, who was also stricken with surprise, looked around the uproar. "What are they doing here?!" he said, as if he'd just woken from his stupor. "Why are those men destroying my house?! What had we ever done to them?!"

I could understand his agitation, as it had more than reflected mine. But what I didn't understand was how the men in black were now positioning themselves in a good vantage point, possibly to subdue us.

We were barely adults. Why would they want to harm us?

I quickly raised my hands. "Don't hurt us!" I screamed. "We're not here to fight!"

Neil, fury on his face, shoved me away. Murmured disgust under his breath, telling me how much of a useless oaf I was. But surely, we could end this in peace? Not everything should be laced with violence.

"No, we can't," Audra said, as if hearing what was inside my mind. "It's just useless at this point, Pax."

"O-of course, it's not!" I defended. "We're just high school students! Why would they do this to us?!"

"Not to them we're not." But I barely heard a word Audra had said. Someone from the floor was rising like the dead.

I gasped when Olivia attacked again. "I'll finish this!" she said. "For Emily!"

"Audra!" I shrieked. She was the target of Olivia's psycho this time.

Hanz, who standing in the middle of the commotion, covered his face, didn't know what to do. But Neil did. He was more than willing to punch Olivia away. Again, to Hanz's alarm.

This was turning into a zoo. Plus the men in black were almost in the house now. I could see their guns, taking aim at us. At Audra, who didn't have the slightest clue.

Her eyes met mine, just when a guy in black was about to squeeze the trigger. At the same time, something from the floor pushed me forward.

"No!" someone shouted, as a shot tore through the air. There were a couple more screams. It was one of the messiest days of my life. But I hardly seemed to notice because right then my leg was struck with the hottest sensation, then I was falling straight to the ground, groaning.

Hanz, Neil, and Audra rushed to me, but already I could feel the pain swallowing me up. I couldn't believe I was shot. I had never felt anything like it before. Like I would die on the spot.

Someone picked me up from the floor. "The back!" There was a yell. And then I could feel myself being cradled by the heat. Whether good or bad, I closed my eyes to rest. Until the chaotic world around me dissipated.

Everything was a blur from then on out, like snapshots of a photograph, pictures that were hardly developed.

Screams.

Running.

And what's more, a protective hand bringing me forward, taking me to the unknown.

"To the left!" a guy's voice instructed.

"No, the right!"

"Are we going to the right place?!"

"Mom!" Someone sniffled in the background, followed by a tough reprimand.

The voices were in and out of my consciousness, drifting and twirling, like I'd taken a new kind of drug.