22.

I quickly through my hair up into a messy pony tail letting my newly dyed blond hair fall to the middle of my back.

Grabbing black jeans and an oversized shirt, I rushed down the stairs and into the kitchen, grabbing an apple then making a run for it to the door.

"And where do you think you're going?" My mom asked me as she caught me half way outside.

It was almost comical how I turned slowly to face her like a puppy getting in trouble for eating new shoes.

"I was gonna go to school," I shrugged. "Considering I've already missed the first 2 months."

I heard a small sigh leave my mother's mouth. "I thought you told me that you didn't like school."

"More so the environment," I shrugged. "But I need to graduate, mom. You know how important that is to me."

I watched her as she looked to the ground thinking over the idea of me going back to school where there could be potential danger.

Finally, she made her way over to me engulfing me into her small frame that matched mine. "Just make sure you're safe." She murmured into the crown of my head before pulling away.

"I'll call Luke to pick you up after school ends."

An eyebrow shot up, "Is this a sign that you're warming up to him?"

She only gave me a pointed look. "More like he's the only one who will be home considering he isn't in university, God knows what you see in him-"

"Mom," I warned her before she lifted both her hands up in defense.

"Sorry," She apologized. "I know how much he means to you." I gave her a small smile as I turned back towards the doorway making my way off the front porch and towards school.

-

"If the root of x is 84 and the value between x and y is..." I'd rather poke my eyes out with needles than listen to Mrs. Henderson explain the x and y values again.

My gaze moved from the chalkboard to the window watching the grade 10 gym class do laps around the soccer pitch.

I must have gotten lost in thought because when a knock sounded at the door I jumped so high that I slammed my knee into the underside of the desk.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your class," Mr. Jenner, the school principle, told Mrs. Henderson with no hint of an apologetic tone.

"But we have a new student today who's going to be attending your class."

Mr. Jenner side stepped from the doorway to let the new student come forward.

I felt my jaw drop down to the desk as I watched with surprise as Kean stepped foot into my Math class.

Mr. Jenner cleared his throat snapping me out of thoughts. "Students, this is Kean. He's a transfer from Ireland."

"Ireland?" Nina smiled. I mentally and physically rolled my eyes hating that she had to comment on something so unimportant.

Nina was one of the reason why my mom was shocked to hear that I wanted to go back to school.

She made mine and other misfit kids lives a living hell, always acting better than anyone else in this school.

I watched as Kean smiled at her, "Aye, lass." He flirtatiously told her causing her smile to grow.

As Mrs. Henderson and Mr. Jenner talked in hushed tones in the corner of the classroom, Kean's eyes searcched the room before finally landing on me, smiling as they did.

Without any further instructions from the principle or Mrs. Henderson, he began making his way over to where I was seated alone at a desk for two.

A smile formed on my lips as I watched Nina looking at us with hurt and jealousy filling her eyes while the feeling of victory ran through my veins.

"I take it you were the one who was suppose to guide me to safety when Luke failed to rescue me from Jai?" I asked while studying him.

He fit Luke's description perfectly; dark hair, sun kissed skin, piercing grey eyes and a sort of Irish charm to his features.

"I'd be the one." He smiled as I felt my breath catch in my throat from his accent. Not that I haven't heard an Irish accent before but his made something set off in my body.

"I heard the news that you were the one to put a bullet in Jai's heart."

I gave him a shrug. "Not really something I enjoy talking about." I muttered.

"Sorry," He told me sincerely. "That was uncalled for by me, I shouldn't have said anything."

I accepted his apology quickly with a smile before he continued. "Word on the street was that he gave his heart to you."

I rolled my eyes feeling a cold laugh escape from inside my throat. "More like he thought I was attractive. If he really loved me then things would be different from what they are now."

Kean nodded his head, staying quiet for a minute or two before saying, "It's not hard to see why Luke and Jai both fell for you."

I felt my cheeks heat up from the comment but didn't say anything else as Mr. Jenner left the classroom to let Mrs. Henderson continue teaching.

For the rest of the class all I could think about was what Kean told me, and how close he was, and how grey his eyes were and how perfect his accent was.

Somethings inside me tingled like when Luke kissed me for the first time.

Luke.

I let out a deep breath telling myself it was wrong to think about Kean like this, that what I felt for him was nothing compared to Luke.

The sound of the bell told the students that they were finally free to go home with it being the last period of the day.

"Hey," My head snapped upwards to Kean's face as he watched me put my books into my bag. "I was wondering if you wanted to go grab a coffee with me."

"Today?" I asked as mentally slapped myself for the dull comment.

"Well if it's a problem then we can go another time." He smiled.

"No, today's fine. Today's great actually." I returned his smile slinging my book bag onto my shoulder.

"Great," He began. "I parked in the student parking lot." He nodded his head towards the classroom door telling me to follow him. I did as I took one last glance at Nina who stared daggers into my head.

Giving her a smile filled with hatred and victory I made my way out the door with Kean at my side. We both cruised down the hall as quickly as possible before exiting the building.

I stopped mid way to his car seeing Luke leaning against his silver Toyota Camry staring at me and Kean with a confused look.

"Hey." I smiled at him waving causing Kean to stop in his tracks too. Luke looked between the two of us sending me another puzzled stare.

"I asked Ella if she wanted to grab a coffee with me." Kean explained to Luke, picking up on his confusion.

I watched as Luke's Jaw clenched before looking back towards his car. "I guess I'll just head back home." He murmured so quietly I almost missed it.

It was obviously that Luke was upset at the fact that I picked Kean over him making me a little mad that he would think that I shouldn't be hanging around other guys when I'm with him.

"You're free to join us too." I told him but he only shrugged me off.

"See you later tonight." He coldly told me before speeding out of the parking lot and down the street.