Vampire Drabble 3

Basic facts of life one: Vampires killed Roman's birth parents. This wasn't some dark backstory leading to him becoming a vampire hunter; the reason was nothing so mundane. They didn't kill his parents for blood or some mindless sport. They killed as a warning to their employers to pay up a ransom to some wannabe crime lord. Said crime lord died rather soon after and got buried with a spike of silver in his chest to stop him from turning.

Vampires killed people every day, but there weren't mindless beats; they felt passion as warmly as the living. Roman knew this. Walter enjoyed a fight whether he got fed at the end of it or not. Roman needed to stop interacting with Walter if he wanted to remain with a beating heart, but that was a problem for another day. 

Fact Two: Roman got raised and adopted by a lonely man who adopted a new child everything the previous one left the rest for longer than a month. Possibly an unfair statement, but Romas returned during reading week in university to find a new brother. Jaxon left for two months to visit his birth family when Theo appeared and the others weren't much better.

Fact three: Rue hunted monsters and put them down or returned them to someone to fix them. A teenage werewolf could be forgiven for losing control when they didn't have full control of a shift. A nest of demons draining every left drop of life left from people at nursing home couldn't be. 

Roman followed in his adoptive father's footsteps - all of them did. Rue tried to stop them. It didn't work. His attempts honestly caused more issues than they solved. By the time the youngest, Dale, joined the family, Rue didn't fight his involvement but put strict rules in place in the name of safety;

Fact four: A month ago, they'd come downstairs to find Rue feeding off Dale. Rue was a vampire. Dale was also a vampire. Unsurprisingly there had been a lot of confusion and chaos after that discovery. His brother and Roman had attempted to capture their father, but he'd escaped with Dale in tow. Dale complaining loudly in the act but the two vanished into the night with nothing to trace where they'd turned to as an alternative den. 

Jaxon had theorised that a hunt had gone wrong and they'd failed to show up in time to save Dale from being turned. Then Walter wanted into the house, made himself comfortable in Roman's bedroom and declared them all idoits. 

Rue was born a vampire. 

There was a whole information dump of information that summed up left them with the knowledge that a) Rue's parents were vampires, b) they riled the underworld of the city until hunters killed them leaving a power vacuum and c) the underworld wanted Rue back as its King and were willing to do anything to accommodate this. 

That fourth fact of life messed Roman up a lot. 

"See my problem is, how did none of us notice for so long? Dad went out in daylight, ate food and I never saw him drink blood," Jaxon said over the comm line, the sound of dripping in the background. 

The same questions had been cycling in Rue's mind too. He was the oldest, he'd been with Rue the longest, but he'd never suspected a thing. The only thing strange about Rue was his lack of communication skills. 

"No chatter on the comms, he'll hear us," Theo said, serious while on a mission and this one counted. 

"I have questions that need answering!"

"Questions that we can ask Rue when we capture him, which is not going to happen if you keep clogging up the airwaves!" 

A moment of silence passed as everyone sat in their own thoughts.

"See, the someone could have mentioned! The wolves are our closest allies. Surely one of them must have smelled that Dad was a leech."

"Oh my fucking God. Jax, zip it!"