Vampire Drabble 3 pt 2

Rue turned as Jaxon and Theo landed in the room. Rue moved. Jaxon answered the fight. It wouldn't last long. Jaxon's weapons were silver lined. They'd maybe work against Walter, but Rue was a master vampire. He'd trained them to fight. Panic pumped through Roman as he watched his father attack his brother with no hesitation. 

"Roman? Can you hear me?" Dale wriggled to get his attention.

"Yes, Dale?" Roman croaked, hugging Dale closer and further away from the ground. He'd got Dale hurt badly enough. Dale was light, but his arms ached from holding him up in his position. 

"Can you turn over? I can rest on you if not the ground."

Good thing one of them was thinking straight. Roman obeyed the request, ignoring his own injuries as he twisted and flipped them over. The arrow had hit Dale in the shoulder. That wasn't safe to pull out without medical supplies nearby. Dale snapped it instead to stop it from catching on to something. Roman let him get comfortable, Dale's breathing uneasily as he continued to grip onto Roman. 

"I missed you," Dale said into his shoulder. "This was stupid."

Jaxon ended up on the ground, his weapons rolling to the side with a clang. Theo knelt before Rue could turn on him. Rue walked over, and Theo didn't flinch. Roman could hear his heartbeat. A clawed hand landed on Theo's head. The building froze as they waited for Rue's response, but he let go of Theo. Theo remained in place.

Rue stalked back to the cage but kept looking back to check they hadn't moved, making his pace slow and painful. Dale tried to reach through the bars, but Roman stopped him. 

"The bars are silver to stop Dad from breaking out."

"You went all out for this," Dale relaxed against Roman again, elbow digging into his ribs. "What exactly were you planning?"

"Catch Dad?" 

"Well, you certainly pissed him," A hint of Dale's usual countenance leaked through, but his voice trembled. Dale didn't trust Dad like this, either. Feral vampires were unpredictable. Dale squeezed his hand. "This wouldn't have stopped him."

"Roman," Rue rumbled again, eyes locking on to his as he gripped the cage. 

"Dad?"

"He's not going to talk back. I'm not sure if him knowing your name like this is a good or bad thing. "You're his son, but he never claimed you. I don't know." Dale's voiced turned distressed as he didn't have the answers. Rue reacted to it, snarling.

The metal shirked.

Rue yanked the side off. 

Dale disappeared from his arms. Air left his lungs as he found himself hanging from his father's hand by his collar. Ice cold fingers crasped around his neck and black dots in his vision. He shook. No, Rue shook him hard. 

"Father, no!" Someone yelled

He couldn't fight like this. He'd been trapped like this before. Walter played with him but Rue wasn't in the mood for games. A lot of shouting, but none of it made any sense over the burning need to breathe. He wriggled, but there was nothing to find to purchase one. Rue held him in the air. He could be holding him over an abyss or a few inches from the ground, and it wouldn't have mattered. 

When the darkness receeded, his throat ached but he could breath easy. He was no longer handing in the air, instead he was laying on a soft surface, blankets covering him and arms bracketing him in. Two bodies pressed against him, one familiar in his arms but colder than normal while a wall of ice lay behind him. The smell of the expensive aftershave lingered around them. Rue had him. Dale cuddled closer, murmuring something but asleep.