Cabin Rat 4

The captain carried Peter down the street with a steady and confident stride. No one in this port was going to care about some pretty boy in shackles being kidnapped by a powerful-looking man, especially one who was accompanied by men who looked like they were the type who could fight. They joked around with a calm, casual air. They had their prey intact and soon he'd be punished for his infraction before being put to work on the ship. Meanwhile, they were free to enjoy the shore-time knowing their pest was cornered now.

Peter didn't fight. He kept his eyes on the ground and tried to keep his grunts to a minimum. How was he going to escape this one? Should he? What was he doing really but surviving one day to the next? It's not like he had a plan. Stay clear of the Great A.I.

Tears rolled down his face and mixed with the water dripping off his hair. The sounds of the docks began to sing around them. More people greeting the Captain as they passed. Laughing at the sight of him being carted back to the ship. The man chuckled, gripping tighter as Peter shifting. A hand-rubbed his legs. His heart was beating fast and he gripped the back of the Captain's coat with his tied hands.

"Colin!" Sergio snapped. The dim echo of curses appeared.

Peter was put down and handed to the cook. He spotted as several of the ship children rushed back to the ship with Sergio yelling after them. Both Sergio and Captain dived after the stragglers.

"Easy boy," the cook murmured, pushing him forward as Peter pressed back against him. "I got you."

They were in the ship's area. A chain-wire fence now up to mark its zone as various hands dealt with their cargo. Some buyers were walking about, now idly watching as the brats were herded back towards the ship. The boys scattered further as the Quartermaster appeared at the mouth of the cargo bay holding one of the boys by the arm. Peter whined, not liking the look on the man's face as he locked on Peter.

"Forwards, brat," the cook ordered, ruffling his hair. Amusement was in his voice.

Peter watched as the Captain swept up two of the younger boys and held them by their waists as he walked back over to the ship. Sergio was tugging another one by his wrist while carrying another on his hip. The others were slowly gathering up as their names were called. None of them looked happy but they didn't look scared either.

"Missing one," the Quartermaster counted, slapping the older ones over the back of the head as they filed back into the ship.

"Boys!"

"We didn't let them slip out until the cage was up. None got out the gate, Captain," one of the hands playing guard called over with a relaxed tone despite the Captain's clear annoyance.

"They shouldn't have been off the ship!"

"They were playing snapping turtles," the hands shrugged as one, most of them unconcerned. Peter tried to take a step back as they got to the ramp. The cook kept him in place, eyes joining the other senior members of the crew as they looked over the area. Hunting for the final child not back in the safety of the ship. "We wouldn't let them out if it wasn't safe."