Strings of Fate 6

Why sideways? The plan had been to dive back, and yet his body moved before the thought process interfered. It fell back into old patterns, rolling over the sand and out of the way of the raging tiger. It clung to his skin and hurt his eyes as he rushed over the surface.

There was the distinct sound of annoyance as Marquez fell off the ring into the crowd before. He had moments to come up with a plan. He climbed the rope that led up to the platform for the high performances and scrambled up as fast as his muscles let him. It was hard, he was not as in shape as he had been years ago. His muscles burned from the lack of use but he pulled himself up as Marquez roared below.

"Jaz!"

The rope jerked as Marquez attempted to follow after him. His claws cut through the rope, releasing it from its ground weight and letting it swing free.

Terrance yelled as he began swinging back and forth, gripping on tighter. This would be an excellent situation for the birds to be able to fly. The world spun for a moment. He was very high up. It had been a very long time since he'd been in a situation like this. The rope hurt his fingers and he slid slightly as his palms grew sweaty. Gritting his teeth, he continued to pull himself up. He reached the top of the rope, ignoring the demands to get his arse down from the height and clambered on to the platform.

He took a deep breath and tried not to look down for too long. The audience hummed and ahhed, not knowing this was not part of the act. The magic was hazing their perception of the ring but Daniel was not under the glamour. He tried to spot the man but he was gone from the crowd. A good thing, he hoped.

Madame hadn't moved. They were staring at where Terrence had stood. He couldn't see their expression from here, not that had ever helped.

Terrence's knuckles were white. He needed a plan here. He needed options. If he didn't act fast, they would get the others involved and he was limited up on a platform. Going down wasn't an option and there wasn't any up left, but sideways? He glanced over at the metal arches that held up the tent. They were strong, they had to be to hold everything in place. If he could get over to the light stand, that would be enough.

Just had to be careful. And not fall to his death. Easy.

He took one more look around before leaping from the platform. There were hisses from more than the audience as the hybrids watching reacted to the move. He caught the pole he was aiming for and swung himself towards the benches and planks that made up the lighting and sound area of the tent. It took a few more swings and jumps but he managed it.

The hybrids working the lights were watching, a few reaching out to him as he got closer. Hands pulled him onto the much safer ground, a fierce warmth of the technicians reassuring as his feet stumbled on the wood. He belonged to the circus. They could not interfere until Madame ordered it. They had no intension of watching him die, however. Hands ran over him, covering him in their scents. Whispers of something surrounded him. They didn't want him to run but they didn't stop him as he pulled away from them.

He flew down the ladder to the backstage area. Marquez's yelling echoed in the small space. The tiger was hunting. He fled outside, and into a torrent of rain. He winced, pulling his jacket close to him and diving in the direction of the exit. The mud was hard to run in, pulling at his trainers and almost sending him over.

What else could he do but run? If Marquez got his claws on him, Terrence shuddered. Marquez had never been particularly sadistic but the man was not gentle by any means. Right now, even if Terrence was going to entertain the possibility of returning, it was too dangerous to face the tiger while he was in a hunting rage. It was time to hide and wait out the storm until the man calmed and no longer was seeking his blood on his teeth.

Jaz had died the moment Terrence had cast the spell to return to his human form. The man Marquez wanted in his bed was gone. Mostly. Probably. He slipped and found himself at his knees at some of the bars surrounding the circus. Security to keep people away from the grounds that hadn't paid or weren't there for the attractions.

He gripped the bars, and let his head thud against him, his knees and lower legs soaked and now covered in mud. He wasn't safe yet. He was on their grounds, in their dirt with the veil pulling on them to stay there. Tears mixed into the mess around him. He needed to get up and run.

Running hadn't helped the first time, why would it help this time? Finding a family who loved him for him had helped. Now they were gone. They had spread their wings and followed their own dreams and goals and he was left with the shadow of his past looming over him. Ironclad chains of expectations that he wanted little to do with pulled at his neck, threatening to sink him lower than the death of his foster father had. Or pull him the rest of the way through. The building was right there. The key to the roof was sitting in his pocket, a different kind of weight on his heart.

The ache that even finding a family had not soothed over held him back.

The truth was, he missed them. He missed the circus. He missed Marquez. He could have it all back now. Turn around, endure the humiliating punishment no doubt planned for him and it would be over. He'd be home. Madame would force him to return to being a hybrid. At the crux of the matter, as much as he missed the circus, he didn't want to be Jaz again. He liked being Terrence.

Thunder crashed above his head, echoing in his ear. Lightning lit up the sky. He was frozen trembling in fear. A low rumble spread out from behind him. He'd been too slow. A sob escaped his mouth and he bit down on his lips to stop any more embarrassing sounds leaving him. If he turned to face Marquez now, he'd break down. He pulled himself up using the bars. The rain continued to hammer down, making him almost fall back to the ground.

A strong arm curled around his waist, stopping him from falling again. He went to fight but thunder boomed across the sky. Louder than any growl Marquez could make. He curled into the hold against the tiger's chest and shivered. Tears continued to fall and his legs refused to carry any of his weight.

He wanted to go home. The only problem was he wasn't sure where that was any more. It had been with the old man. But now he was gone, and Terrance was alone.

The tiger carried him away from the bars.

Terrence was expecting Marquez to take him to Madame. Or possibly to his truck where he'd be bundled up with Sanvish.

Instead, they left the circus grounds.