Notebook Drabbles 22

The first draft written pre-2016, updated 2022

Some days, it didn't matter how long Fredrick served in the national guard; he remained a country boy ignorant of technology at heart. An image beamed across the blue sky, particles making up the image of their beloved ruler Emperor Gunnar. Frederick's heart swelled in amazement and awe every time he saw it. Until someone snorted at him and made some jibe about him being from the sticks; his friends were kinder about it than strangers.

Only cities had this level of technology. Beyond didn't have the means to power such tools.

The speech began with a prayer to the Divine, the city ringing with unison as every mouth repeated the verse. The Divine led the Emperor to victory against his usurpers, and as long as they all dutifully obeyed the tenants, the Divine would protect them as well.

Hail to the Divine.

As the chant ended, the announcement started, blessing the day and the hard-working people of the Empire, promising rewards plenty for their work. The propaganda machine ran strong here. Frederick wanted to forget that it was that and tried to believe it was more. Instead, the knowledge that it was excellent tactics to help keep the average citizen in the haze of obedience remained. Some days he fell into it, forgetting ever wishing to rebel against it. Those days were easier. Being a loyal servant came naturally when the memory of dirt under his fingernails and leather under his tongue stayed buried.

The day's announcements didn't differ too far in script from the usual ones. Another rebel sect had been found and disbanded. The previous ones were now loyal members and happy to work for the glory of the Divine. The members were now in chains in the palace, waiting for trials for their crimes against the Empire. They'd be re-educated in the ways of the Divine.

Hail to the Divine.

"We also welcome back Aozora to the flock."

Fuck.

Fredrick straightened and tried not to react as the image of a skinner, greyer version of his friend splashed over the screen. Grey hair peaked out of Aozora's hairline, and a new scar twisted over his nose and cheeks, but he wasn't in chains. Someone familiar stood behind him. The image disappeared before any clues as to who.

The Emperor reappeared with a pleased look on his face. Frederick kept his back up straight. That wasn't a look anyone who had any interactions with the Emperor wanted to be directed at them. "With Aozora's willing current, he shall be joining the scientist responsible for purifying the Great Lake's water supply. It also brings the infamous Rebels known as the Starjumpers down to three missing members. I implore anyone with information to come forward and for the members themselves to surrender. The Divine will grant mercy to those who repent."

Hail to the Divine.

Lino liked scaring his toys. Theta once tried to defend that Lino treated them all well despite the quirk. Aozora swore to end his life before letting himself get marked up that way. Had the project of purifying the Great Lake persuaded Aozora to surrender? Frederick shivered and headed back to his apartment. He didn't have any redeeming features.

"We're down to three Starjumpers, eh?" Someone muttered near to him as everyone carried on with their evening. "A shame that. They get harder on the last few,"

Three people were left of their band of fools. Did that include him?

Frederick cracked his knuckles and kept moving. Praying and being a loyal follower to the Divine worked wonders until reality set in and a chip got embedded into a person's lower neck to ensure loyalty and obedience. A nasty scar that declared to all that the bearer had doubted the Divine, even if the truth was it was the Emperor they doubted, not the Divine. The Emperor wasn't as divine as he liked to think he was. Hitting his forehead twice, Frederick whispered the tenets under his voice.