Notebook Drabble 16

It took a moment to realise it wasn't a nightmare. Despite sharing many of the elements, this was in fact real life. He closed his eyes and opened them again to be sure, but being able to do that was proof enough. A flutter of wings echoed in the resting chamber. Soft whispers and snores of countless birds resting. The flock slept as one. Maks hoped that he hadn't screamed in his sleep or anything else to disturb their rest. Whatever they had planned, Maks didn't want to anger them further.

It was mostly dark but even without moving, Maks could see orbs floating about. Highlighting the rock face and confirming it was a traditional resting chamber, deep in caves somewhere defensible. Nests littered the space, carved into the rock and on to rocky columns. They were curved into bowl-like shapes and filled with mesh, blankets and pillows to be comfortable. He shifted, careful not to make more noise than needed.

Carter and Declan were next to him. Curled around him and loosely holding him. All three of them had chains on their necks and ankles. They were captured, no doubts there. His small wings fluttered anxiously. The last memory he had was of feeling exhausted. He'd curled up next to his brother to rest in comfort but he wasn't here. And if the Air Marshal had claimed him and his loves, he would have claimed Gasper and Teodor too. Though, maybe it was no coincidence that he was with his lovers. Maybe his brothers were simply elsewhere in the chamber. Gasper had his husband. Teodor had any number of lovers who they could have decided was his true love.

Maks' heart beat faster as the darkness started to press in on all sides. The nightmare he had been having weighed in as heavy as his anxiety now. He bit his lip and tried to rub the tears off his face without moving the chains too much. He pressed into Declan, the sleeping man not moving.

A flap of wings had him shutting his eyes tight again. Someone was hovering close by. A hand brushed over his hair and a soft clicking noise whispered over him.

"It's ok, little one. I know you're awake," the unfamiliar voice said. The voice was quiet, not disturbing the innate peace of the chamber. Even if the peace was more overwhelming for Maks with nightmares running through his system. "Open your eyes and let me see you."

That wasn't ominous at all. A matron, perhaps? One of the overseers for young Avians not yet trusted to sleep a full night. Maks wanted to be a little insulted. He wasn't that young. Nineteen, old enough to have sex, old enough to fight but maybe not old enough to sleep without a guardian if how the person was acting was any indication. Prison wardens weren't known for calling their wards 'little one'. He refused to open his eyes but a hand rested on his head, stroking through his hair calmly. Waiting. If he fell to sleep again, would the matron leave him alone? It felt nice. Having someone pet his hair. If the man stayed quiet, he could pretend it was Gasper.

"Is there a problem?" A second voice, far more familiar and despite the concern that should rise up, relief filled Maks. Someone who would have answers for him.

"The Aviankin is awake but refusing to let me see him."

"Maks can be a little shy. Can't you?" Aleksandr rumbled with amusement ringing in his wake. "Come on. I'll take you to get some hot coco and make a snack to help chase those nightmares of yours away."

Maks groaned before he could stop himself. He'd definitely been screaming then. Or at least loud enough that they knew he regularly had nightmares. "Rather this one goes away," he muttered, turning his head into Declan's ribs. Aleksandr wasn't going to let him fall back to sleep.

"Not likely to happen."

Red eyes met his as he let himself peak up at the Avians from behind Declan's chest. Their full-sized wings letting them hover in the space. His own too small to fly wings flicked unhappily. The fingers left his hair and Aleksandr released the chains around his limbs. The matron cooed over Maks murmured gentle words of encouragement as he didn't fight. Strong hands moved over him with ease before beginning to carry him up. He couldn't fight, Maks noticed with dawning horror. His arms and legs were heavy. Weight down by exhaustion and something else? Drugs? His brow furrowed but he was quick to grab on to Aleksandr as he swept Maks up before the stranger could make the final move.