Vampire Drabble 2

Written: 2016 (Possibly earlier - props 2014)

Jae woke up slowly. His body aching painfully and his mind still feeling drained from being pushed too hard. Every inch of his body was sore and pulsing, but he was lying on something soft which made a change. The people who had kept him captive had rarely given him a bed to sleep on. Usually leaving him to collapse on the floor. Chained to something nearby mind you.

Seers were too important to allow lose.

Yet Jae got the feeling he was forgetting something important. When the smell hit him. A familiar and distinctive smell. Mint and lilies. As the smell clicked, so did a memory of collapsing into the arms of a man. Marc.

Marc wasn't human. He was a vampire. Not normally ones to want Seers, but Marc had been Jae's friend before he been turned. Jae had little doubts the Vampire Clan had not looked for him. That he had been found as a side note. Still. He knew they would demand payment for his freedom.

The men who had held him had promised to free him once he worked his dues, but they kept getting bigger and bigger. Until Jae was certain he would never be free.

He shivered. He had nothing he could pay the Clan with. Nothing but his services. He didn't want to do this anymore. Seer or not, it hurt breaking through the vale. He curled, pulling the duvet he was covered in close to him. It was soft and warm. How he had missed those feelings. Jae didn't want to open his eyes. He would be quite happy to die right there. Safe and warm.

Still, he had to wake up now. His eyes fluttering open, he was met with the sight of his own alarm clock. The one which had been on his bedroom table at his apartment, his mother had brought it for him one Christmas. Though, he wasn't in his apartment.

The alarm clock wasn't the only thing on the bedside table. A few other objects from his flat were there too. All ones which had some importance, he noted. Fingers reaching out to brush over them. Pleased to see old friends. He froze for a moment as he reached out, his hands and forearms covered in bandages.

The smell of burning flesh reached him, making him want to hurl. He curled up again, closing his eyes and willing the smell away. He had been punished for failing to give results. A moment after he calmed himself, he dared look again.

He was on a single bed. White sheets and covers. He had owned a double bed. The room he was in was about half the size of his bedroom at his apartment. Letting him know everything he needed too. This was his new cell.

Vampire clans gave their members good sized rooms. They earned the trust to be able to live alone in a house. Which those who did had within a certain distance of the head mansion. Small rooms like this? They were either for workers who they didn't trust to live outside of their influence. Or hostages. Either one was a bad sign for him.

If it wasn't for his alarm clock, and the other items he could see around the room which were his. He could have been there temporarily. But the items? Photo frames, posters. There was a chest of drawers and a desk at the foot of his bed. A sink and a wardrobe on the other side of the room. It reminded him of a university hall room. Had lots of storage in a small space. On the back of his door, his coat was hung.

Sitting up, he smiled softly as he realised why he had been able to smell his friend. The vampire had left his coat draped over his shoulders. He cuddled it close. Was he safe now?

---------------

The wardrobe was locked. Jae frowned. That was never a good sign. The vampires tended to be very picky about what their servants or slave wore. The fact that he was being restricted meant that his fate was still undecided. While the room was quite obviously his stuff, that didn't mean that the Vampires were going to keep him. Or indeed protect him.