// 31 //

Zach had become more and more suspicious of me ever since Eden's sly trick in the hall but I'd managed to distract him by helping him study for his bio exams coming up - successfully transferring his focus away from me
As I left the school building, I was bombarded by the younger children dashing past us screaming. They all looked so carefree.
Arms came to wrap around my waist and after a moments pause I melted in Zach's hold.
"Hey babe." His warm voice by my ear was soothing as ever.
"Hiya." I turned around and beamed up at him. Over his shoulder I saw Eden with her little posse glaring at us. I gulped. This was not what I needed right now.
"You ready, study buddy?" Zach clasped my hand and started half dragging me to his car, his long strides over taking even my fairly long strides.
"Can we not go to mine tonight." I asked quietly as I sat in the passenger seat. He didn't take his eyes off the road but placed a hand on my knee.
"Of course, babe. Is it your parents again?"
"Yeah, they're arguing over the stupid shop now and dad's been going out more and more often. I'm worried."
"Hey, it's okay. You always have me and my family when you need us."
A tear had stealthily managed to trace its way down to my chin and I involuntarily gasped.
"Woah, woah. Are you sure you're okay?"
Zach started to slow the car down.
"...No." I admitted. He pulled over onto the side of the road, Luckily we were in a residential area, and turned to scan my face. I looked at him helplessly.
"I don't know what's wrong with me." I admitted in a small croak. He sighed.
His warm hands came to rest gently on my arms and it felt as though he was the only thing holding me together at that moment. His gaze was gentle and deep, filled with so much care it was almost overwhelming.
"It's all going to be ok."

*.        *.         *. 

After a small pit stop at his house, where I was ordered to stay in the car lest his mother talk to me for hours, we arrived at the top of a large hill.
"Why are you taking me as far away from civilisation as you can?" I regarded him with suspicion.
He barked out a laugh and grabbed my hand warmly. He tilted his head and smiled at me lovingly.
"You're adorable." I whispered.
"What was that?"
"Hmm? Nothing. Just the wind." I feigned innocence.
"Oh really? The wind huh? Sure." He laughed and pulled me closer to him. He then gently placed a hand under my chin and guided me in looking forwards over the magnificent view.
The city lay sprawled out beneath us, the lake glistening in the setting sun. I glanced up at my boyfriend and the sun illuminated him, bathing his skin with a pure golden glow.
My eyes started to water and I groaned.
"Ugh I'm sorry. Why am I so emotional?!" I sighed and pulled away from him.
"It's understandable Mel. Come on, sit with me and we can talk it out. Just talk okay. About anything and everything."
I found a patch of grass that seemed suitable and sat down. I summoned Zach and he sat himself down behind me, his legs on either side of mine. Slowly he wrapped his arms around my torso and he guided me gently backwards until I was leaning against his well built chest.

After a few deep breaths I opened my mouth and the words flowed endlessly like a waterfall.
I talked about my parents and how I was scared they would never be the same after the incident. Then I scoffed at how I kept skipping around calling it the incident when it was her suicide. Because that's what it was.
My twin sister killed herself and I could never see her again.
This was when the tears started flowing and they didn't stop until I got to the part where I was worrying about my friends.
"I'm scared to lose you, Zach. Like I lost her." I sobbed and twisted myself in his arms till I was kneeling and facing him, my arms draped over his shoulders.
His hands gently reached for my waist.
"You will never lose me Mel. Never."
I let out a small whine and fell back onto my knees.
"But I have a secret Zach. And you'll hate me for it. Everyone will. I can't... I want to tell you it's just- " my voice got caught in my throat as I tried to breathe and stop from crying at the same time.
"Melanie... does this have something to do with what that Eden chick said earlier?"
It was so hard to look up at his earnest eyes without feeling a fresh wave of sorrow wash over me. I nodded as the only response I could possibly formulate.
"Well then I'll give you time until you feel you can tell me. Eden is not exactly someone who's opinion I would trust. Especially not over yours. You listened to me Mel. And you forgave me. What makes you think I wouldn't return the favour?"
I sighed. I turned away to look over my shoulder. The sun had set by this time and the lights of the city twinkled warmly against the gentle waves of the river.
"I don't deserve you Zach Dempsey. Even if I lived for a hundred years I'd never find someone like you. So I will treasure you for as long as I can."
And with that I placed my lips against his own, wrapping my arms around his shoulders to pull him closer, craving his warmth and praying that the moment would never end.

A/N
Unedited sorry, enjoy y'all