Crescent 19: Heaven's Gathering Clouds..(2)

Hearing the boy's complaint earlier, this doubt had formed in his mind. Because no matter what, even if he'd been dragged here and tied to the pillar, Arkaan couldn't imagine them forcefully wearing the white thobe on him - at his age too for that matter.

Arafat facial expression from before was suddenly replaced with an ashamed expression as he remembered what happen that afternoon.

"Arafat!" His maternal uncle, the sly old fox had called him. People said he had this 'always sad' face on. But whenever Arafat met with him, why did he never see it? Why was the man always hard on him and showed his wily side?

That time, he was busily playing some video games in his room.

He quickly got up and went out. If he didn't, the man would have followed into his room, and he didn't want the man seeing what things he had lying everywhere, - especially the bottles from the night before. His Uncle always had something to complain about his life.

Even if there wasn't one, he'd just think up something to talk about.

When he got to the living room, he found his uncle sitting down discussing something with his mother. When he approached however, the man stopped and looked up at him, smiling.

He didn't know, but this all seemed so strange to him. Of course he didn't doubt that his uncle could smile at him whenever, - only that, he'd first be berated a lot before he received anything if there was even any to be given.

This time however, the old man had nothing 'bad' to say, and had but only smile at him.

Even though Arafat felt something strange was going on, he gave an apprehensive smile.

"I've got some new clothes for you. I want you to try them on if they're your match."

Why hadn't he noticed his mother's handiwork then?

After he had tried them on, the rest of it was history..

He was led to the slaughterhouse like a naive little lamb, his uncle convincing him that someone important from the West, was in the masjid to see him.

He emphasized the 'someone'.

His uncle knew how much he wanted to meet his dad after the man had left for his native home, leaving his mother, he and his two sisters behind. It had been ten years now, and they'd only received his occasional mailings.

He always told them how he was working hard to make life better for them once he came back. They weren't a wealthy family, but they weren't poor either.

His mother worked on tirelessly, sewing and selling clothing in the Chinese market, and they were able to get by everyday.

Most of the funds went into he and his little sisters' education, as well as finishing the house where they stayed. Their parents had started the project together, but their father had left it for their mother to complete.

Occasionally, he'd send some money over to aid. It was always a huge sum. But considering the intervals at which they came, and the many things needed to be done, it always got finished quickly.