Chapter 4 - Ethan

Sitting on a bench, looking out upon a lake. The shade of a big tree beside me blocked the heat from the blaring sun. But I wasnt cold. The temperature was comfortable. The lake was bright blue, lined by trees, and scattered violet flowers. The sky was a rich blue, with white puffy clouds slowly floating by.

It felt serene.

Suddenly, the bench I was sitting upon sank a bit. I instinctively knew someone had sat down beside me. I turned my head and smiled, "Haven."

She returned my happiness, her eyes crinkling at the sides. Her nose scrunched up in the cutest way as she grinned at me. "I've been waiting a very long time for you, Ethan," she said softly.

"Me?" I asked surprised. "Why me?"

She looked as if she was really thinking about my question but only replied, "I'm not sure." And then she chuckled, "Strange, huh?"

"Very," I agreed, laughing in return. I felt a surge of warmth fill my whole body. My heart soared, thrilled that I was finally able to talk to that girl in the hospital bed.

But that girl and this girl were very different. This one was vibrant, full of beautiful, but calm, energy. I was comforted by her presence. We stared out at the lake in silence.

"Ethan?" She asked quietly, finally breaking our reverie.

I turned to face her, our eyes meeting, really meeting. My stomach knotted up. Was I nervous? Why was I nervous?

"Wake me up."

"Dr. Carter!" My eyes opened to Doris shaking me from my slumber. A little too violently, might I add. It took me a second to compose myself and gather my surroundings.

Fuck.

I fell asleep! On my second day of residency! In a patient's room, no less! I snuck a quick peek at Haven. She was still right where she had always been, looking just as she always had. "Dr. Goode is requesting you," Doris said gently. I forced myself to check the time from my watch.

8:27am.

FUCK.

I am so late!

I scurried out of my chair, making a mad dash through the door, "Thanks Doris!" I called out as I flew through the hallway to the stairwell. I did not want to chance the slow elevator right now.

___________________________

Luckily, Dr. Goode did not comment on my tardiness. Maybe he didnt even notice? I wasnt sure and I definitely wasnt going to bring the matter up in conversation first. All he did was hand me Haven's accident report. I quickly returned to her room, making sure to grab her chart and a cup of coffee on the way. I needed somewhere quiet to review the reports and as I had not gotten an office yet, room 8110 was my first and only choice.

Doris smiled at me. I thought I detected a knowingness in her face, though I wasnt sure why. Haven was my patient. It wouldnt be odd to be in her room. Maybe always being in her room would raise some eyebrows...

I settled back into my chair beside her bed, choosing to read the police report first. Maybe knowing the details of the accident would in some way help me. Maybe. "Alright, love," I said softly, "let's see what we've got here."

My eyes read each word carefully, intent on visualizing the accident. The first thing I landed on was the name Nash McClellan.

Forever, Haven and Nash.