6.1

•- Laine Bennett -•

A feeling of nostalgia passes through my body as my feet carry me through the morning rush of business men and women alike.

I had been gone a week, however the bustling city that never sleeps was at such a constant change that even a routine could shatter in a millisecond.

I stand before the tall skyscraper of Wood Enterprise. Months ago, this architecture and business alone had given me anxiety and thrill. But as I greet the doorman just as I had done many days before, I felt like a whole new person who was one with her past and ready for her future.

It never dawned on me that I'd fled after the news of my father's crime had surfaced. Austin Wood and his newest assistant were off the grid until he'd shown up in the tabloids with a mystery woman on his arm. I was sure those who worked here had pieces together this detail, but for the sake of prolonged sanity, I would like to believe it was still a question to be answered.

I walk past Amber, the young woman who I still feared greatly. Her eyes wander my frame as if assessing the differences that had occurred during my absence. Sure, my skin was a shade deeper than normal and my confidence had reached a never before seen level, but I was still Laine Bennett, the girl who was madly in love with her boss and secretly indulging in late night rendezvous in the secrecy of our own homes.

Making my way to the coffee, I order Austin and I's usual drinks before bidding a good morning to those employed in the small section of the lobby.

Riding the elevator up was about as eventful as the prologue to Romeo and Juliet. I got looks of curiosity and I'm sure they had to deal with my disappearance, but as much as I knew I would dwell on the turning head at a later date, my main goal was to see the friends I'd missed so dearly, and get back to the work that paid my bills.

The elevator halts on the top floor and I'm met with wandering stares and tired eyes wondering if this flight up held the boss.

I step into the common area before making my wya to my desk where a large floral arrangement and a random stuffed sheep sat patiently waiting my arrival.

I place the two steaming cups in my hands onto a cleaned spot of my desk before I'm completely malled by my two best friends.

"You're tan!" Mahalia announces as she rocks Brent and I side to side, "And if I wasn't as straight as a green bean, I'd be falling to my knees right here, right now."

I erupt into laughter before Brent takes Mahalia's clear breath of air to speak, "And you smell like the ocean still! Next time you best fucking take us because I hated not having my two girls by my side."

I pull away to actually breathe and Brent immediately lifts the sheep from my desk.

"You sound like a whore, Brent. It's concerning."

He rolls his eyes as he folds the sheep in half, "I'll just take this back then," he waves the small hand in my direction but I quickly snatch the stuffed animal.

"Don't you fucking dare or I will personally strangle you in your goddamn sleep."

His eyes widen momentarily as his head jerks to Mahalia who took no shock to my protectiveness over something I received less than two minutes ago.

Raising his hands in self defense, Brent takes small steps backwards as though I would truly injure him, and once he's backed into a plant and close to falling, I turn my attention to Mahalia who was poking a flower with her nail.

"You see, I took the floral approach. It's both an apology and a welcome back," she shrugs her shoulders carefully.

I raise my eyebrow as a sad smile crosses her face, "I wasn't really there for you when news broke about your dad. I didn't want to overstep, and I felt guilty for reading the article and not allowing you to tell me yourself."