1.7

•- Laine Bennett -•

The day drew to a close and unlike my fellow colleagues, I was just as anxious to leave this building as I was to enter. They could go home to their bed, to the fridge, to the many wonders of television, whereas I had to stay and discreetly act like I was waiting for a strange man to pick me up from work all while that strange man is inside the room behind me probably coming up with a way to get me drunk.

I don't peg him as that type of guy. He might say he gets what he wants, but there isn't a bone in my body that believes it's out of ill actions to see the results. But I guess you could never be too careful.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Mahalia asks, raising her clapped together hands to her mouth in worry.

I nod my head a little too hard and a small pain comes to follow. I don't do physical shit. The most I do is bend my body to grab the remote or fish some food out of the fridge. Am I ashamed by this? No. But should I be? Yeah, probably.

"I have 911 on speed dial," I wink as I pull myself closer to my desk.

Mahalia sighs, "Good. And if he's shit, then call me and I'll come up with a good excuse. Real good. And make sure you have money. Sometimes they don't pay. And if you can help it, don't actually sleep with him unless he is attractive in both personality and features."

I lean back in my chair and stretch my body in all sorts of different directions to relieve the stiffness from sitting around all day.

"Stop acting like a mom and get your pretty little ass home," I yawn out, the day already taking a toll on me.

She nods, pointing directly at me before making her way to the elevator.

Like the real dumbshit I was, I managed to finish filing, and confirming as well as declining certain events on Austin's behalf. Most were charitable asking for him to guest speak or donate to which he informed me earlier on to always accept those, while others were propositions for new clients that needed to be directly sent to him.

I was tapping my foot impatiently against the wooden floor and watching the clock tick until five thirty when it was a sure thing that anyone who was worth avoiding would be out of the office.

On the dot, Austin steps out of his office with his coat in hand.

"You look bored," he states, putting the jacket on over his suit.

I shrug my shoulders as I turn to face him. "I find that your choice in clocks is very interesting."

He raises an eyebrow as he straightens out his jacket, "What could be interesting about a clock?"

I look over to the circle mounted above a portrait, "It works. It has that going for it."

Austin lets out a gentle laugh and pulls my chair backwards from my desk. The less work I have to do, the better.

"I think your lack of a proper meal is making you delusional," he states, making me frown as I turn off ace him again.

"You can't be a bitch about my peanut butter and jelly. You don't see me pointing out how weird your lunch was Mr. Peaman."

He rolls his eyes and chooses to ignore my comment. His arms slowly extend out to me and questioningly glare at him.

"Let me be a damn gentleman, Laine," he huffs.

I take his hand and he helps me from my seat. By help, I mean he peeled me from my stuck position. If we didn't have plans already, I'd curse him out for not giving me time. But he was a punctual fuck and I didn't get much say.