Chapter Four

The RK900 knocked softly to Gavin's apartment door. A paper bag of food in his other hand, he sighs aloud nervously.

A muffled sound was heard from the other side as the wooden door opens. The detective frowned as he saw his android partner. A cat in his arms and a few at his feet, he looks like he has been sleeping.

"I'm sorry to bother you, you must be sleeping.." Nines said nervously.

"What do you want?" Gavin frowned.

"I got food.." The RK900 said.

"Can't say no to food, come in." The detective let the android in.

The detective's apartment was decent. Nines was surprised on how tidy it was. A office in the far left and two rooms down the hallway. Living room is seen when entered, as the kitchen and dining area was in the right. He was amazed on how modern the place was.

Nines handed the bag as the human gladly accepts it.

"Oh, my favorite." He smiles as he sees a cheese burger meal inside. Gavin opens it, and started to chow on the food.

"Detective.?" Nines spoke up as Gavin lets out a hum in response. "I apologized for being rude earlier."

"Wow you're apologising? Is that you, Tin can?" Gavin laughed.

"I'm serious." the RK900 added.

"Whatever.." He said. "I'm sorry too. I was an ass earlier.."

For the first time, Nines finally smiled with no mix of bitchyness. A genuine grin.

"Don't be so happy about it." The detective chuckled. "You still owe me for scaring the sh*t out of my soul."

"Of course.." The RK900 nodded as he remembers another thing that he needs to talk about. "I think I found a person of interest who might know about our suspect."

"Really? Sh*t, you're good at this." The detective took another bite. "Who?"

"Elijah Kamski."

Gavin Reed choked on his food. It made the android confused on why did he reacted like that.

"Are you alright, detective?" Nines titled his head in confusion.

"Yeah-yeah I'm fine." Gavin coughed a little. "So when are you going to talk to him?"

"How about tomorrow. Sounds good?" The android asked.

"Sure.." He nodded. Nines stood up and grinned.

"I'll let you enjoy your meal. See you tomorrow, Detective."

"Nines, wait-!"

"Yes?.."

"Never mind, see you tomorrow." Reed made a faint smile. Nines went to the front door and waved before going out.

Gavin just let out a big sigh. Taking his phone in the side table, he dialed a number.

***

"Detective Reed!" The android knocked on the door. It was early 8 am and the human hasn't come to work yet. Missing the briefing back in the precinct.

The human didn't answered. Good thing the android knew how to pick lock, digitally.

He unlocked the door with ease. Opening it and saw the familiar place. The android walked down the small hallway and knocked on the first room which he presumed that it was Gavin's.

"Detective Reed?" Nines called out as he knocks again.

No response.

He knocked again. Gavin must've be a heavy sleeper. The android thought to himself.

Is this some kind of boyfriend would do? Intruding? Wait that's wrong. But it feels right, because of how he missed work and they have a case to finish.

So the RK900 knocked one last time, but there were still no response.

He noticed it was unlock. What a stupid android.

So he slowly opened it.

"Detective Ree-"