Chapter 16

Previously on Boy or Girl:

Takashi's eyes could only widen as he scanned the interior of the room.

_______________________
Chapter 16
_______________________

The long room glowed a pale green. The first thing that caught the male's attention was the two aisle of life-sized figures lined up to gaze down at the lane in the centre of the room that led the way till the other end of the room.

As Takashi took a step forward, he admired the figures, which he realised were made of wax. They were all beautiful women, all wearing different types of wedding dresses. The walls that were on his left and right behind the row of figures were all display cases with more wax figures behind them, all beautiful women that looked as if they are prepared for their wedding.

Takashi's mouth hung open in awe. Whoever made these figures seemed to be a world-class artist! They were extremely real and beautiful, which masked the eerie feel and silence of the room. The ebony-haired male continued admiring the figures, his onyx eyes running from head to toe of the different wax figures.

He suddenly stopped at one which seemed very different from the others. Sure he had seen a few male figures, dressed in rather casual clothings, but this particular one was smartly dressed in a suit. This figure was a teenage boy, compared to the other males who were adults.

Takashi noticed his long eyelashes, perfectly structured features, the way the figure was put in position, and the only eyes that were closed in the entire room. The curtain of white hair seemed to mimic Takashi's current hairstyle but the male was much taller. There was something that drew Takashi to this figure, but he didn't think much about it.

His hand unconsciously rose, his finger tips neared the soft white 'wig'.

"What are these?" came a timid female voice. Yui nervously trailed behind the purple-haired vampire, eyeing the figures in the room warily.

"As you can see, these are wax figures," Kanato replied simply, a small smile grazing his lips as he looked upon his works of creation.

Yui nodded, even though the vampire couldn't see her, and added, "I've never seen one before." The figures were very beautiful, Yui thought.

Kanato slowed down to a stop occasionally to show off his dolls to Yui, "Whenever we come here, even Teddy seems to perk up a little," Kanato looked down and nudged the teddy bear in his arms, "Isn't that right Teddy?" He glanced at the shaking girl from the corner of his eye, his previous warm expression replaced with a cold one. "You don't look like you are enjoying it too much though, Yui-san."

Yui's skimming crimson eyes met dull purple ones, causing her to flinch as she realised that she might be a little disrespectful. "Um... Wax figures like these kinda give me the creeps," Yui's heart thumped faster as she watched the slow narrowing of Kanato's eyes, quickly adding, "I just wish they could all be as cute as Teddy!"

Yui sighed in relief when Kanato turned back to the front. "I do realize teddy bear is the cutest of them all of course," Kanato mused, softly caressing his precious toy, "but these woman are nothing more than empty shells—mannequins, that posess no souls at all." He paused in his actions, and dropped his hand. "So I guess in a way, Teddy is just like them."

Yui did a double take. "D-did you say that they have no souls?"

Kanato slowly turned to face the girl, who unconsciously took a step back. "I think that you would look very beautiful, if you were a silent corpse too."

"W-what?" Yui took another step back as the vampire took a step forward, an unnerving smile on his lips.

"Say, would you like to become one of these figures right here and now?"