Chapter 12

Previously, on Boy or Girl:

"No one has been saved by their belief."

_____________________

It was currently a normal day at the Sakamaki Mansion. The sibling duo were spending their time together in the rose garden, chatting like they were the only ones in the world. Takashi was leaning on the water fountain in the middle of the garden while Yui kneeled bear a rose bush, taking care of it.

"...and I was like 'What does x+y=6 suppose to mean? I'm not a freaking genius!' But the teacher was like 'This is common sense, everyone should know.' Damn right everyone should know, everyone that comes from your stupid planet!!" Takashi ranted about school while playing around with a thornless rose, gesturing dramatically every time he imitated others. Yui giggled at her brother's antics as her hands moved around the bushes professionally.

It had been a while since the two of them spent time alone together like this. Usually they would be busy with homework or with school...or because of the brothers of course. It was a rare chance to talk to each other without a care in the world ever since they came to the mansion. Yui watched with a loving smile as Takashi continued to amuse her in his rant. However, what Laito had told her previously was bugging her.

"You were offered up to us as a sacrifice...by the very church you had such faith in."

'What does that even mean?...' As she was lost in thought, a sudden clap shocked her out. Jumping, her panicked scarlet orbs darted around in alarm before realising that it was Takashi.

"Ne, Yui-nee. What are you thinking about? You seemed dazed..." Takashi looked at her with furrowed eyebrows and a frown. Yui gave a smile in return and shook her head.

"It's nothing. I'm fine. You don't have to worry." Yui glanced at the male's twitching fingers and giggled. "You can go. I can protect myself."

Takashi felt his face burn in embarrassment, knowing that he was found out. "W-who said anything about wanting to explore this super cool mansion?!" It was silent for a few seconds. "...oh, I just said it..." Takashi then scrunched up his features. "...Are you sure? You can protect yourself right? No more vampire biting you right?!" He gave Yui a pointed look as the latter covered her mouth while giggling.

"Yeah, you don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine. Promise." Yui tilted her head in a cute manner. The blush on Takashi's cheeks were tinted a lighter shade of red as he turned away spitefully. "You better still be here when I'm back." With that, the male turned to his sister, giving a light pat on her head, before running off to explore the mansion. Yui sighed as she went back to what she was doing. A smile now daunted on her lips.

____________
Chapter 12: A peek into the past
______________

As he was analysing the beautiful structure of the mansion, Takashi came across a graveyard after following the perimeter of the area. There were small tombstones all over but one particularly large one caught his eye. Standing over the grave, Takashi leaned down and caressed the wording on the stone.

"Cordelia..." Takashi muttered with half-lidded eyes. Images flashed past his mind, but they disappeared as soon as they came. He could not shake off the feeling of familiarity and a sense of hatred. Shrugging, he looked around and noticed a small daisy growing nearby. Plucking out the flower, he gently laid it on the grave and bowed, showing his respect. Straightening up his back, he heard a familiar voice.