"I know that new guy from our cafe is going— he was the one who invited Hailey in the first place— and Hailey herself, so... That's about it."

"That's it, huh?" Dan's face was blank, his expression wiped clean. Phil was struggling to figure out what he was feeling at this moment. There was no doubt that Dan was a little uncomfortable with the idea, but how bothered was he really? "So this wasn't your idea at all? Just your friend's?"

(Y/N) was quiet for a second before a sheepish response came out with a nervous laugh. "Yeah..."

Dan countered her answer immediately. "Why are you going then? Wouldn't it be better if Hailey went by herself? If you don't want to go, you shouldn't feel like you're obligated to attend."

"I know, I know. It's just that I don't think she should go alone. I know how she gets when intoxicated and surrounded by strangers— potential bed buddies I should say. If we were back home, I'd let her go. But since she's in a new place, doesn't know how to get around and such, it would be unlawful for me to leave her without supervision. She's my friend. You guys would do the same for each other, right?"

Before Dan could answer, Phil jumped in. "Of course we would. Dan and I always look out for each other, we would even look out for you without a second thought. But this situation sounds a little..."

"It sounds like something you're not okay with." Interjected Dan, leaning back into his chair with crossed arms. "Honestly (Y/N), as your friends we're telling you that this doesn't sound like a good idea. You don't know these people, nor do you know the area as well as us and—"

"I know Hailey."

Dan's words immediately died in his throat when (Y/N) spoke up, the challenge in her voice making both of their bloods run cold. Dan swallowed and flicked his gaze to look at his friend. Phil looked back, his blue eyes reflecting the same realization as his flatmate. (Y/N) was oddly defensive about her friend.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so snappy. I've just been on edge all through this call. I keep looking back at my door and expecting Hailey to come barging through at any moment." (Y/N) let out a forced laugh, obviously trying to defuse the tension that had built up. "Don't worry about me, guys. I'm a responsible person and I'll make sure that both Hailey and I come back in one piece. You have my word, okay?"

Dan leaned closer to the phone. "You promise on your life?"

"I—' (Y/N) seems taken aback by Dan's sudden serious tone. She paused before speaking, her voice slow and drenched with the purest form of sincerity. "Dan, I promise on my life. I will come back, alright?"

Dan gave a small smile, his voice practically a whisper. "Okay, (Y/N). I believe you."

Phil sat in his chair, the urge to wiggle unbearably strong. He was witnessing the most lovesick tensions that he had ever experienced in his life! Dan was looking at the phone with unfiltered infatuation. If you didn't know who his affection was directed towards, you'd think he was a crazy person in love with an inanimate object. On the one hand, it made Phil's heart flutter with absolute joy with how happy (Y/N) made Dan. His friend deserved love and so did (Y/N). But on the other hand, he desperately wanted to shake their clueless little heads and scream the truth to both of them. One could only take this infuriating chase for so long.

On the other side of the phone, the sound of stomping footsteps erupted into (Y/N)'s space. The voice was muffled and crinkled with static, but it was no doubt Hailey's. The boys could hear (Y/N) talking to her quickly, rambling out some rapid-fire lies. "Yeah, okay. Okay, I'll be there soon. Yep, just talking to my mom—"

Hailey's shrill voice sounded in the speaker. "Oh my God, tell her I say hey!" Hailey ran to the speaker, screaming out for (Y/N)'s mother, asking her about random things, seeing how she was, wondering how her job was... While she was rambling incoherently, Dan and Phil looked at each other with pained expressions, their ears ringing from her intense pitch.