Chapter 38 - Catfight

XIMENA

Lewis searches desperately throughout all the cupboards in the kitchen. I wonder what he's looking for since he has the most impressively stocked second kitchen in what used to be a garage.

"Oh crap, not now. I'm a damn genius."

I should be reviewing some chapters that I need to deliver to Laura, but the noises he's making are amusing and keep interrupting me.

"Did you lose something?" I ask from my place on the couch.

"I'm out of gelatin. I have tons at the candy store, but driving there and back will be a waste of time," he slams the cupboard door shut, the noise making me flinch. "I'll be back in bit. The oven is set with a timer. If I'm not back by the time it beeps, just open the door and let the pastry shells cool off."

I don't even get to say a word as he grabs his keys and leaves. Only to come back a minute later to give me a quick kiss on the top of my head. I have deep feelings for this man, but when he is busy baking I barely recognize him. He goes from an introverted, quiet man, to a tornado that mumbles and curses under his breath. Most days I have no problem with it, but when I'm working on a deadline, it can be mildly irritating. I still work from Greg's apartment, but I enjoy the convenience of my new family life being in the same place where I work.

I assumed we would have a quiet weekend with just the two of us. The boys were spending this weekend with Hannah. Then something happened that no one in town was counting on, even less Lewis. The advertisement and website for the fairgrounds have attracted new visitors to Lonstino from all over the place. On the days I help Jess at the café, Lewis' pastries are sold out in a few hours. Those same people are visiting Candy Pier and the demand is high. Usually he rests on Sundays and today, he's been working since he woke up. Hopefully he'll find someone to help among the pastry chefs he's been interviewing. 

Lewis isn't back by the time the oven beeps and I do as instructed and leave the door open. I imagine how people feel at the sight of the beautiful pastries when they see the display at the café. Now I'm only looking at the golden baked shells without any filling and my mouth waters. When I return to the house, I weigh in on whether I should continue working or take a break and have coffee. The need for coffee wins.

While filling the pot with water, I see movement out of the window. A car, that has seen better years, has parked in front of the house. I watch through the curtains and see the moment when the driver turns around and seems to be hitting something in the back of the car.

"No!" I yell as I run outside and down the driveway. "What the hell do you think you are doing?" I yell next to the driver's window.

Michael cries and Luke looks so scared. Hannah rolls the window down and looks at me with a lifted eyebrow.

"So you are the little whore Lewis is dating. He was such a waste of my time, just like these two," she motions with her head to the boys. "Where is that good for nothing anyway? Playing Miss Baking?"

"Luke, Michael, get out of the car! Now!" I say with authority to the boys who seem paralyzed with fear.

"Who do you think you are?" Hannah watches me amused. "You are not their mother!"

"You are not a good one either. I saw what you just did and I think social services would love to hear that. Boys, in the house!" I say and the boys finally get out of the car and run into the house.

"So it was you! You called them!" Hannah says while getting out of the car.

"No, it wasn't me, but whoever did it is a hero to me. You deserve to be in jail, despicable human being!"