Chapter 28 - Code Yellow

"I'll be back in a minute." Those were the last words that Charlie had said to Jemma before she had left the hospital room. She didn't want to leave the girl's side, the only reason she was convinced to do so was because Jemma asked her to. Jemma had told Charlie that she decided she was going to talk to that Dean guy no matter the consequences. Charlie, who knew there was a deadline coming up on when Jemma had to make that specific decision, had no trouble believing what she was saying.

   Charlie had told Jemma that she would go get in contact with Dean, that she would make sure everything was taken care of, that she would be back as soon as she could. Since Mr. Dean Fallon didn't leave a phone number when he left after he talked to Jemma that day, the only way Charlie knew how to get in contact with the guy was to go through the annoying doctors that had called him in the first place. Even though the last thing she wanted to do was talk to either one of them again, she knew that she had to, for Jemma's sake.

    The first thing Charlie did was walk over to the nurses station, which was on the opposite side of the hospital from Jemma's room. She figured that she could just get one of them to send on the message to Jemma's doctors, that way maybe she would be able to avoid talking to them entirely. No such luck, however.

    There was what seemed to be quite a line that was formed in front of the desk. All of the times Charlie had walked past it she has never seen even the beginning of what looked to be a line and the one time she actually needs something... well of course there is a line. Charlie is not a lucky person, never has been and this is one of those small things that go to show how unlucky she truly is.

So Charlie waited for the two nurses that were sitting behind the desks to talk to everyone that had been standing in front of her. A couple of the people that had been in line seemed to just have a quick question then they went on there way, but everyone else seemed to be taking an eternity. What did they even have to ask about?

    "Code Yellow." Charlie heard blaring over the loudspeaker. In the days she had been here she had yet to hear that one so she had been kind of curious about what it could mean, but not enough to ask anyone about it. She figures she would just look it up on her phone once she got back to Jemma's room. But she did see a couple of security guards speed walk past her which left her kind of confused.

    "Miss... miss, can i help you." That snapped her back to reality. It was finally her turn and the nurse was trying to get her attention.

    "Yes, sorry." Charlie apologized at first for being so out of it then continued. "Ah... I was wondering if you could pass along a message to either Dr. Morgan or Dr. Leonard." Charlie wasn't exactly sure what to say even after having all of that time to think about it when she was standing in line, but she did her best when she let the words out of her mouth.

    The nurse didn't waste any time before responding to her. "I can't pass any messages, but I can page one of them for you and you can tell them yourself."

    Charlie didn't really see any other option so she responded with an affirmative and watched the nurse pick up a phone. "Can I have Dr. Morgan to the nurses station. I repeat Dr. Morgan to the nurses station." As the nurse in front of her was saying these words Charlie could hear them traveling all around the hospital over the loudspeaker. Once the nurse put the phone back down she said to Charlie, "Just wait over to the side." She directed Charlie to an area that was out of the way of the nurses station. "When Dr. Morgan comes over just tell her you were the one that asked for her." After that the nurse signaled for the next person in line and Charlie was pushed out of the way.

    Charlie waited for the doctor to show up. She understood that the women was probably busy, but she really just wanted to get back to Jemma, so she was a little put off that it was taking Dr. Morgan so long to arrive. Eventually Charlie heard the women's voice saying, "I was paged?"

    "Hey!" Charlie said to get the woman's attention. Dr. Morgan started the short track over to Charlie with a confused but also relieved look on her face.

    "We've been looking for you." The doctor said when she reached Charlie.

    "What do you mean?" Charlie asked. "I've been standing here waiting for you." Charlie said adopting the confused look that had been on Dr. Morgan's face earlier.

     "Just about everyone that works in this hospital is looking for Jemma right now and by extension you because we figured that you'd know where she went." Everything coming out of the doctor's mouth was making absolutely no sense to Charlie. Dr. Morgan clearly took notice to the very confused look on Charlie's face and said. "Didn't you hear the code yellow? Jemma's missing. No one can find her."

    "What? That makes no sense." Charlie was at the beginning of starting to ramble on. "I was just with her. She asked me to get that social worker, Dean, so that she could talk to him so I came out her to get you. That was not even 20 minutes ago. Where the hell could she go. She didn't even have any cloths. There is no way that she has anywhere to go."

    "I need to ask you a serious question Charlie." A serious question. Charlie knew what was coming but that didn't mean that she was going to have an answer ready. She was still so confused. Where would Jemma go? Why would she leave? She just told her that she was going to talk to the social worker, that she was going to try to sort everything out. Why would she leave? But no matter how many times Charlie asked herself she couldn't manage to come up with an answer.

    That serious question Dr. Morgan wanted to ask was, "Do you think that Jemma would try to kill herself again?"

    This time Charlie's answer was simple, "I don't know." Is what she said. Because in the last two minutes she was beginning to figure out that she didn't know anything about anything anymore.