Chapter 26 - The Great Escape

'Now.' Jemma texted Maddox. A one word text that was meant to set off her great escape. Before Jemma sent the text she had to wait for Charlie to leave the room again, and in order to get Charlie to leave the room again she had to practically beg her.

She originally told Charlie that she should go walk around because she was probably hurting from pretty much being confined to one chair for the past who knows how long. That, however, did not work. Charlie, for some reason did not want to go for a walk and she was pretty adamant about that. Jemma knew that in order not to tip Charlie off to something going on she would have to wait a little while before she tried to get her out of the room for a second time.

The problem with waiting another twenty minutes, at least, to get Charlie out of the room was that the plan had been to get her out at exactly 9:00 pm. It was almost 9:05 and Charlie was still sitting next to her. This would be known as setback one.

Setback two came when Maddox was sitting in the waiting room waiting for Jemma's text. She told him that the second she sent him the text he had to bring her the cloths so that they could get out of there as fast as possible. Waiting for that text, Maddox had his eyes glued to his phone. Seeing as his mind was occupied he didn't see or hear Dr. Kent coming.

"I'm surprised to see you back here." The doctor stated as he seated himself right next to Maddox. After his conversation with Charlie, Dr. Kent definitely was not expecting to see Maddox ever again. The women had told him that Maddox was probably the reason that Jemma tried to kill herself. He thought that Maddox having that knowledge in itself would keep him away. But, the kid was definitely sitting in the waiting room, of the hospital that Jemma was in. Dr. Kent could see it with his own two eyes.

Maddox looked over to the man that took a seat next to him. He wasn't exactly sure how to respond, but he did know that the guy had seemed to be in his corner the last time that they had talked. When he wrapped up his hand after he punched the wall.

"I just wanted to come, make sure she was okay and everything." Maddox was pretty sure that was a buyable excuse. He may like the guy but he wasn't about to tell him that he was sitting in the waiting room waiting for his ex girlfriend to text him so that he had the go ahead to help her pretty much break out of the hospital. He may like the guy, but Jemma was more important. Jemma would always be more important.

"She's good. I talked to that women you called, Charlie, earlier today." Maddox kind of wanted this conversation to be over. He got his wish when he heard a beeping noise coming from Dr Kent's pocket. The doctor pulled out a pager and got up out of his seat. "Well." He began before he left. "You sit here as long as you want. I gotta go." And with that he took off not even waiting for a goodbye from Maddox.

Thank god that was over and just a minute or so after Dr. Kent disappeared Maddox got the text. 'Now.' It was officially go time, which kind of scared the crap out of him because he was about to see Jemma face to face with both of them conscious for the first time since their fight at the Nonstop Diner.

He walked over to the door that Dr. Kent had led him to, along with Charlie, days before. He was so close to going in last time and this time there was nothing stopping him. He opened it and he saw her, eyes on the door looking ready to leave.

"Hey." He said. It was the only thing he could think to say.

"You bring what I asked for?" Jemma asked not giving him a beat to process what was going on. He shook his head as he tossed her the bag with the cloths in it. He wasn't sure what she was going to think of his cloths choices but he didn't have much to choose from. He pretty much just grabbed what he remembered her liking. There was his old yankees shirt that he loved so she stole. He wasn't sure how it ended up back at his apartment, but when he was digging around his draws it was there. He also grabbed a pair of his old sweat pants knowing that they probably wouldn't fit her but it was the best he could do on short notice.

Jemma stood from bed holding the bag with her and walked over to the bathroom that was attached to the room. "I'll be quick." She said before rushing herself to close the door so that she could change.

When Jemma opened the bag the first thing she saw was the yankees shirt. Along with that she saw all the memories play in her head that came with that shirt. The first time she saw it, it confused her to no end because they lived nowhere near New York so why the hell would Maddox have a yankees shirt. Eventually, however, she grew to love it which led her to 'borrowing' it. One of the last times that she was at Maddox 's apartment she had accidently left it behind and she hadn't seen it since. She loved this shirt.

She shook off the memories and also the few tears that managed to silently slip down her face. Jemma threw on the cloths as fast as she could before looking at herself in the mirror. She was bracing both sides of the sink, her hands holding tight, her face staring at her face in the mirror. She was going to run and she wasn't exactly how far this was going to go yet, but no matter what she knew that this was her only choice. It was what would be best.

Walking out of the bathroom she saw Maddox standing at the door to exit the room and looking out. They had to go now, before Charlie came back. "You ready?" Maddox asked a simple question that meant so much. Are you ready to alter your life forever? Are you ready to say goodbye to the people in your life because you're going to have to if you do this, if you run. So really Maddox was asking her if she was ready, if she was ready to run for good.

"Let's blow this joint." That was it. It was time for them to disappear, together. They were a team again. They were together again.