Chapter 40

Xander's POV

Although I was starting to get used to the older Al hanging around us, I knew that him being around meant that something bad was coming up. In less related news, I felt terrified. Well, more than I usually feel regularly. I know what some of you may be wondering, "Why? are you so scared Xan?"

Cause I'm confessing my lack of undying love to the one person that I have crushed on and gotten to date me. I was completely on board with accepting my feelings for Al, but now that I think about actually having to break up with Elise, I am feeling like I am getting ready to tell her that I killed her best friend. When Al and Future me had said that they couldn't help me but I feel like they were just saying that because they wanted me to man up or learn some important lesson. Which was all fine and good when I had gone to eat lunch two days ago now that I'm standing in front of her room door now, made it feel like I wasn't going to be able to do anything without either passing out or stuttering my way through my sentence.

I shakily raised my fist to knock but jumped back when the door opened on its own. I was met with the shining eyes and a bright smile of my girlfriend whose smile somehow brightened when her eyes met mine. "Xander, I was on my way to come find you! I was getting worried cause I haven't seen you in a while. Is everything alright?" she asked worriedly. Why did she have to be so pretty? Plus she's nice and worries about me... I thought as I let a nervous smile spread across my face. I looked at her up and down and realized that she was wearing a green long sleeve knitted jacket over her favorite black and white striped shirt with her favorite ripped jeans and black boots. Then the thought hit me. Today was date night. Of course, I chose the worse day to do this to her.

"U-Um yeah! I'm fine. I was just doing some thinking and I didn't want to be a total buzzkill since you seemed in such a good mood recently," I half lied. Then I processed what I had said while her smile faded and she rose a brow. You're an idiot! One of your closest friends gets kidnapped and you say that she's been in a "good mood" 'Truly stupid' my consciousness snaps and I force every muscle and cell in my body not to flinch at the thoughts that ran through my mind.

"Are you alright Xan? You don't seem too good" she mumbled as she leaned forward and placed a smooth hand on my forehead. 'Please stop being so great so it can be easier to do this,' whimpered my emotions in my head. I quickly stepped back and chuckled awkwardly.

"Yep! I-I'm fine! I um, Came here to tell you something that's uhh Important" I begin and notice as her worry fades and is replaced by confusion. "I um.. came to tell you that I-" I abruptly stop when I see hurt flash across her features.

"You came here to break up with me didn't you?" she asked with a soft yet sad sigh. My eyes widened and I opened my mouth to speak but stopped as I watched her go from being hurt to a neutral expression.

"My mission was to keep you away from that freak. I was never told that you had to stay alive though. So I guess now that my fun is over with you. There's no need for you to keep breathing" she says as a dagger drops out of her knitted sleeve and lands in her left hand. I squeak while I jump away from the blade that she swings in my direction. I gasp in shock while I tried to process what one of my closest friends had said to me. I quickly realize that I didn't have much time to think as she swung at me again, and this time, she had managed to graze my right arm.

Blood flowed out of the slash she had made and it began to coat the black and white flannel I was wearing. I hissed in pain and quickly made my escape, racing down the hall and away from her. I was lucky that the dagger she held was too heavy to be able to throw with good accuracy but even I knew that it didn't mean that I was safe. I could feel my heart drumming loudly against my ribcage as I pushed open the door to the staircase and began to ascend. My adrenaline was through the roof at the moment plus my powers were activating due to my fear spiking. Even in these conditions, I knew I wouldn't last a second in a fight with her. Instead, I decided to use my abilities to lighten the weight on my feet, thus letting me run much faster.

"You won't be able to run for much longer Xander! The moment your trip will be your last seconds of life!" she shouted as I heard her flying down the stairs after me. I push the door to another floor open and rush out, bumping into various students and staff along the way but there was no way I was going to stop. At least that's what I was promising myself until I tripped over my own feet and landed face-first on the ground. I winced at the serious rug burn I had suffered on my right cheek. When I began to stand up, I felt a heel press against my tailbone which was followed by an unnatural amount of force that sent me flying a solid four feet, only adding to the painful rug burn experience when I hit a wall headfirst. 

My head began to pound so hard that I could barely make out what was happening around me. It was clear that this was the end for me. I could barely make out the blurry figure of my friend as she made her way over to my left and knelt to my height. "Too bad you die here, I guess I'll never get to know what was so special about you and that monster being together" She whispers as she drags the dagger back and goes to plunge it into me. I close my eyes waiting for the impact but to my surprise, it never comes. I slowly open my eyes to see a taller figure standing over Elise. Her body was seemingly lifeless as the taller figure began making its way over to me. I whimpered slightly and began to back away until my eyes registered who stood in front of me.

"Hey, there stranger," he says as he reaches down and picks me up.

"Al?"

"Hey, stay with me okay? I'm gonna take you to Nick and he'll fix you up," he said. I remembered blinking a few times as I processed his words, but then, darkness took over.