Chapter 7

(A/N: Another filler chap. This doesn't have much to do with the main storyline but it helps fill in a few holes and shows how Xander is trying to investigate Al and Max's weird relationship. Also short chapter. Sorry)

(Picture: Kevin Adrian as Andrew)

Two days after Al was admitted into the hospital wing I was able to visit him. Sadly, he was left unconscious in order for him to heal faster. When I walked in I noticed that both Andrew and Dr. Hathaway were already in the room despite it being three in the afternoon which was one of the busiest times of the school day. Andrew was on what I believed was his laptop and Dr. Hathaway was writing something on a clipboard.

The first person to notice me was Dr. Hathaway who looked up at me as he was in the process of walking out of the room. "Good afternoon Alexander" he greeted with a surprisingly monotone voice and I smiled slightly.

"Good afternoon Dr. Hathaway. You do know that you can call me Xander... There's no need to use my full name" I told him as I stepped out of his way. He slowly nodded and took his leave. I slowly moved over to the bed and sat on the chair opposite the one Andrew was in. I couldn't help but stare at his relaxed face.

"He's doing fine. His vitals are normal and he's getting better slowly but surely" Andrew informed as he looked up at me. I quickly looked up at him, hoping that he hadn't caught me staring, and nodded. He then got back to what he was doing on his laptop and the room fell silent.

At first glance, I noticed that Al's nose wasn't as swollen as a broken nose should be. He seemed so calm and serene that it made me feel bad. I looked down knowing that he was in this state because of me and it began making me feel responsible for it. "Stop thinking so much about it. He's a strong guy" Andrew stated as if he had read my mind. I looked over at him and noticed as he had stopped typing and looked up at me. With a soft chuckle he shook his head and closed the laptop, placing it on the bedside table near him. "I've been here all morning. Luckily my instructors are all busy with helping the younger kids prepare for their ranking exams so I haven't missed anything. But I've been here this entire time emailing his teachers to explain that he wouldn't be going to class due to another accident that has landed him in the medical wing. It's been a while since he's been here for any type of beating or major wounds so they let him slide with it. Plus, Al is a smart kid who is usually ahead in his classes so I doubt he'll be slacking" he explained and I sighed.

"I can't stop thinking that he's in that bed because of me" I admitted into the slowly growing silence.

"You shouldn't think about that. Even if Max didn't try and beat his face in, he would still manage to do something that would get him to end up in here," He admits with a groan. "Al can be an amazing guy when he wants to be but a troublemaker when everyone needs him not to be..." he admits afterward.

"But you said it yourself! It wasn't Al's fault!" I exclaimed and he was quick to silence me. I covered my mouth, suddenly remembering where I was.

"I know it wasn't. But one has to wonder what happened to get Max to hate Al so much" he says and I tilt my head.

"Max has always been a hotheaded person and quick-tempered. So, many times he would get in trouble for fighting out of blind anger" I recalled while thinking of all of the fights he would get into when we were younger.

"Well, that makes sense. But what could Al have done to anger someone enough to have them want him dead? I've known Al my entire life and even I don't know what's going on between them" He confesses and I tilt my head in confusion. For a long time, I sat and thought about it.

Even if I didn't know Al for that long, I knew he couldn't make anyone mad enough to have them want to kill him. Then again, I couldn't just jump to conclusions with Max being the bad guy about this all. I had known Max for a long time and I've never pegged him for a bad guy. I glanced over at Al's unconscious form and inwardly groan at the idea that came to my mind.

I knew that I had to speak with Max and get to the bottom of this. For Al's sake.