Chapter Forty One

Start from the beginning

"That's how the whole bet thing even started. I thought you were just some uptight cheerleader who needed to be knocked down a peg or two. The more time we spent together I quickly learned that you weren't uptight and that you were and are the easiest person to talk to. I've told you shit Christian doesn't even know and I've known him forever. I didn't plan on falling for you. I planned on winning the bet and that being the end of it but the closer and closer it got to the end of the bet the more I didn't want it to end. I told my friends that we hadn't had sex just to keep this between you and I going." He breathed out and explained and my heart and stomach were going flips while he stared directly into my eyes.

"I tried to deny my feelings for you from myself. I was terrified to admit that I actually cared for you and then we had sex and I found out about Steve and I couldn't have felt worse just knowing that I made this bet over you whenever you've already been through more shit than anyone deserves. It hurt me deeply. I felt like shit! When Christian found out we slept together I tried to tell everyone not to say anything and my friends didn't even give me shit for dating you. They know I care for you. I was never going to tell you about the bet. I wanted to, but I was scared to lose you. I know I should have told you but I didn't know how or what I would even say. Then Maria just had to open her mouth." He rubbed his temples as if he was trying to relieve some stress and I sat there quietly absorbing everything he just said.

"I love you Erika. I really do. I didn't want to tell you that I loved you this way. I wanted to do it in some cute girly way, the way you deserve. I'm sorry for the bet, I'm sorry that I broke your heart. I never should have made that bet in the first place. I am such a dumbass. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and if you can't I'll accept that and leave you alone. The ball is in your court. You're right I'm no better than Steve, I don't deserve your forgiveness in the first place." A tear fell from the corner of his eye and I had to close my eyes to stop myself from breaking down.

"Thank you for being honest with me. I'm so confused and hurt right now I don't know what to say." I cried and wiped a tear that betrayed me and leaked out of the corner of my eye.

"I'm so sorry." I opened my eyes and looked at him as he wiped a few more tears from his eyes.

"I know." I mumbled, he was sorry I could see it in his eyes. The sight of him crying was too much for me and it made me cry even harder.

"I don't know if I can ever forgive you." I whispered after a few minutes had passed by and both of our tears had dried up.

"I wouldn't blame you if you never did." He sat down in front of the guardrail and stared out at the view. I started to think about my life and how hectic it has been from losing my dad, to my mom meeting Steve and the cigarette burns. Then I think about meeting Dakota and the way he makes me feel, the way he makes me smile, the way he holds me when we are in bed, the way he looks at me. Would I ever be able to forgive him? I didn't want to lose him no matter how deeply I was hurting I would regret not even trying.

"I'm sorry for comparing you to Steve." I apologized as I sat down a few feet away from him. I know comparing him to Steve hurt him more than anything because I know how much he hates Steve for what he did to me.

"Don't be, you were right. I am no better than him." He hung his head in shame and it was too much for my heart to see.

"Yes you are! You hurt me deep Dakota and I don't know if I can ever get passed that but I am willing to try. You at least apologized for what you did, no it doesn't erase what happened but I know you didn't mean to intentionally hurt me." I breathed out and his head snapped my way and his lips curled upward.

"Willing to try? You'll give me another chance?" He asked hopefully and I nodded slowly. I know I forgave him fast but I didn't care. His grey eyes poured into me and lured me in, as if I could say no if I wanted to. I'm hooked too deep with him.

"I'll give you one more chance but that's it. You don't get three strikes I don't play baseball." I warned him seriously meaning every word.

"I will never do anything to hurt you again." He whispered and scooted closer and lifted me off the ground and sat me on his lap and nuzzled his head into the crook of my neck. I wrapped my arms around his neck and sighed feeling complete again.

"I love you too." I whispered into his ear and he squeezed me tighter against his chest. I heard the sound of a camera shutter. I looked up and Dakota had his phone out. He took a picture of him laying his head on my chest and then with my head resting on the side of his face. I grabbed his phone and took a few more pictures of us making different faces and I could see the happiness starting to come back in my eyes, something that only he could bring out.

"I better get you home before before Chelsea sends out a search crew." He gently stands up and places me back on my feet.

"She will forgive you too, ya know?" I lifted my eyebrows at him and he sighed not really believing me. I told you she is a scary for a small person but if he did hurt me again I would be scared if I were him.

"She just wants to protect me from being hurt. She always has tried to. She is the one who told me to come and talk to you." We got into the car and he turned on the heater once he realized I was shivering as he started to drive back.

"Really?" He gasped almost like he didn't believe me.

"Yes. She knew I would forgive you but if you hurt me again she will probably kill you."

"I won't hurt you again, I promise." He grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers together and brought our hands up to his lips and placed a soft kiss on the top of my hand before he rested our hands on his leg while he drove. I watched him while he drove, he seemed so much more at ease now than he ever had before. I sat there and let my mind go a million miles an hour thinking different scenarios of ways that this could end badly but you never know if you don't try right? And I'd regret it everyday if I didn't at least try to forgive him.